African cup of nations

Worth a shot.

Anyone watching this? On the opening day Ghana (the hosts) got a free penalty to win against Ghinea, one of the surprises of the tournament - at least in the single match they’ve played so far.

Morocco handily beat Namibia 5-1, which was expected, but then Ivory Coast beat Nigeria in a really great match 1-0. Drogba looks to be still recovering from an injury or something, because he wasn’t giving his usual 100%.

Today Egypt drubbed Cameroon 4-2, excellent and very physical game, we were winning 3-0 and 4-1 even, but one of our plentiful moronic defenders gave Cameroon a penalty in injury time. Still, 4-2 is pretty awesome against Cameroon, some of their top stars are really due to retire, in particular Rigobert Song.

Haven’t had a chance to keep up with it 'cept for highlights; the Ghana coach was saying the home pitch w/long grass was horrible (in that it didn’t help his team’s play-style). Did you see it?

— Alan

I didn’t really notice it, it’s a standard complaint with respect to African football fields so I think I stopped mentally taking notes of it. Ahly, the team I support in Egypt and which won 2 of the last 3 African champions leagues, played on some horrible fields, especially in Nigeria for some reason. Good football fields seem limited to South Africa and some of the North African countries.

Ghana wasn’t bad by any stretch, they’re a very good side, but Guinea really stood out in the match, and I don’t think Ghana’s penalty was deserved. Their winning goal came really late in the match as well. The group will be interesting in how the Morocco and Guinea match will play out. All teams can count on thrashing Namibia so Morocco vs. Guinea should be the decider for the group.