After a hundred billion years, I finally cut the cord to my mouse...

I bought a Razer Viper Ultimate on sale a couple of months ago. The size and shape fit my hand much better than my old G900, and it’s noticeably lighter to boot. I just plop it on the charging dock once a week.

I had a wireless Logitech mouse 20 years ago that fits this description. Always had to wake it up too, if it sat for longer than a few seconds.

Modern wireless gaming mice have latencies on par with comparable wired mice. And with my two mice mentioned above, I can also charge them up by plugging them in to the USB cable and using them as wired mice for a couple of hours, which is long enough to remind myself why I bought a wireless mouse in the first place.

Whoa, interesting. I just had that start happening with one of my two Logitech Performance MX mice (the newer one of the two). Didn’t know that was a known thing, just figured my mouse was wearing out after so much use.

I believe those models are looong out of warranty (I had one or two of those and loved them for work) but the problem is that they happen so quickly in the lifespan with some of the gaming models.

Didn’t you post a link to what switches you should buy if you want to replace them yourself at some point?

Yes, look 8 posts up.

I didn’t realize those links included the instructions for replacing, my bad.

Sorry, my bad. He discusses the switches but I don’t recall DIY replacement instructions specifically.

Here’s someone else doing the Omron switch replacement today/yesterday:

Also:

I prefer wired mice and keyboards on my desktop PC. They’re sitting on my desk, why would I care if there’s a wire?

Besides fewer cords looking cleaner, the slight resistance of the cord against a surface edge is irritating. It’s a minor annoyance but why should I deal with it when batteries and latency are so good now?

I don’t find it irritating at all, but certainly YMMV.

An example listing of how much the switches cost:

I switched to the inexpensive Razer DeathAdder and love it although I’ve also used the SteelSeries stuff and could easily go that route too. Wired forever for PCs unless it’s for work and then I don’t really care.

Thanks

I kindof miss cleaning the roller gunk from the old ball style mice. Take a mouse from a rumbly janky mess to smooth sailing while adding to my coworkers mouse-jam collection… good times.

Wonder if I could bring back the market for those, like cherry switch keyboards. “True gamers require the precision of analog”.

Precision would be a hard sell. You want to sell the experience, the tactility of a surprisingly dense little rubber ball rolling against poorly lubed little cylinders.

You are a visionary!

Triple the price with the gamer tax while ensuring build failure in ~1 year.

“Roll over the competition with the our Hy-flo 5200 Gamer Experience input device”.

I don’t. I remember the first optical mouse in encountered was probably about 1988. It came as part of an IT business analysis program for the IBM PC used for drawing data flow diagrams. You had to use the special grid mouse pad that came in the package in order for the mouse to track.

Can I use that quote to market the roller-gamer? “See what your fancy laser mouse is designed to help with? No frags in data-flow.”

With a modest 5% royalty, sure.