After killing your Star Wars dreams, Rian Johnson likes to unwind with Pokemon Go

After killing your Star Wars dreams, Rian Johnson likes to unwind with Pokemon Go That’s a pretty straightforward commercial for the upcoming Pokemon Go Fest 2020. No subverting expectations there, unless you look behind the lens. The ad was directed by Rian Johnson, previously seen upending the locked room mystery genre in Knives Out and making old Luke Skywalker aggressively milk a space walrus in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. “As a longtime Pokemon trainer, it was a real pleasure working with Niantic on this spot.” Pokemon Go Fest 2020 is a virtual affair this year. It begins on July 25th.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/07/06/after-killing-your-star-wars-dreams-rian-johnson-likes-to-unwind-with-pokemon-go/

Jesus, I guess Rian Johnson really did crawl up into a lot of people’s heads if this is the kind of thing that gets a reaction.

It’s always weird to me when companies snag big directors for commercials, especially when the commercial contains none of the director’s identifiable style.

If Rian Johnson from now on could be forcibly quarantined into just making Pokemon commercials for ever and ever it would be okay with me.

I was expecting the ad to subvert expectations and tell people to stay the fuck home.

The Last Jedi was great. Pokemon Go is…fine.

On the other hand, when some directors sell out, we get a cool short movie from them.