Age of Empires, 2, and 3 coming in new Definitive Editions

I like the way these new Age of Empire games look and even played some AoE4 on Game Pass for a bit at launch, but this is the one I always regretted not getting into when it was first out. Super exciting news for me.

More here on the console editions:

The team has been working hard to bring an experience that not only feels great using a controller, but also teaches players how to play on Xbox. A new tutorial designed specifically for controller input paired with a new user experience for console will help players get started. Weā€™ve also added a new game AI which helps make resource management in a strategy game efficient and intuitive.

Players can enjoy 83 maps, 42 multiplayer civilizations, 34 single-player campaigns, 10 multiplayer modes, and 7 co-op campaigns. And now, Xbox players will be able to enjoy all this phenomenal game has to offer!

For those players who are loyal to keyboard and mouse, weā€™ve ensured that those inputs are supported in the console version. We also considered the functionality Xbox players have come to expect from their games and so the game will include optional crossplay between platforms, allowing you to play with your friends on Xbox and on PC. Weā€™re also bringing the game to Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), allowing players to continue their empire building, even when away from PC or console.

Iā€™m really curious to see what an ā€œAI which helps make resource management in a strategy game efficient and intuitiveā€ will actually be.

Also, this was in the link @vyshka posted, but I think itā€™s important enough to highlight.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Getting Return of Rome DLC

We announced an upcoming Age of Empires II: Definitive DLC, Return of Rome. Thinking the key art looks familiar? Youā€™d be right! Weā€™re adding Age of Empires: Definitive Edition content, playable in the Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition client! Weā€™ll be sharing more details in the not too distant future so stay tuned for more information.

I completely missed that.

AoM had EXCELLENT campaigns.

Age of Empires MOBA confirmed!

(Itā€™s long been my (half serious) assertion that MOBAs are for people who canā€™t handle RTS economies.)

I worked on a game named Dropzone a few years back that attempted to land somewhere between an RTS and a MOBA. You played 1 on 1, with 3 heroes (basically mechs in our case) per side, with no resource gathering except XP. Our prez used to say ā€œyour attention is the resource.ā€ After launch, a lot of feedback came in that it was too taxing to control 3 units, so we ended up having to implement modes allowing players to choose to play only 1 (or 2) of the 3. It admittedly was very fun this way too, but we kind of had to let go of an already somewhat tenuous claim to RTS mechanics.

I agree, but for me I feel like while they reduced the cognitive load by removing the macro part, it felt like there was this huge addition of knowledge that you had to get into your head about the meta of the different characters, their builds, and everything instead. That and the requirement of it being a team game, meant if you donā€™t know that meta stuff you are probably getting shit on. So for me it has always felt less painful to stick with playing rts games (poorly :)).

Right? They just jammed a ton of micro into the hole where the macro used to be!

As someone who was always more of an economy guy, and who doesnā€™t particularly enjoy mandatory multiplayer, there was never any danger of me getting into MOBAs. And Iā€™m so glad there are hardcore RTS lovers keeping these Age reboots and sequels going.

I actually ran through the first few mission in the Rise of Legends campaign a few weeks ago. Maybe when they run out of Age gamesā€¦

Some great games so far today in the Red Bull Wololo Legacy tournament.

What was striking was that they seemed to treat Age 4 like a novelty game and Age 2 as the ā€˜realā€™ game. Sone of the Age 4 ā€œtournamentā€ maps had all sorts of random, silly scripted problems and opportunities, like some kind of fan made scenario editor thing.

Age 4 is just fine but in lacking the ā€˜base buildingā€™ sprawl and late game unit spam of Age 2 it sort of proves that ā€˜quantity has a quality of its ownā€™ addage.

Oh, that is the best!

Also, no one spoil anything, I am still making my way through red bull!

@legowarrior Memb has the Warlords tournament going on right now. Great gold rush game today. It looks like T90 isnā€™t casting the games for some reason though. Interesting tournament, falling somewhere between empire wars and regular start with 9 villager starts. If you donā€™t plan on following the games I can point you to the match/game, otherwise I will let you get there when you watch. :)

Edit: Actually Iā€™ll stick the link behind a spoiler for anyone that wants to see it

Nicov - Yo Game 2: Gold Rush Twitch

Thank you. I will take a look.

I have to be honest those quality of life improvements on the Console are things I would not opposed on the PC. But I assume that Iā€™m in the minority.

I imagine they are coming to pc too, because you will be able to play with controller on pc as well.

Yeah, but I want it with the mouse and keyboard.

Iā€™ll be surprised if they donā€™t offer the automation improvements to everyone, at least as an option in the settings.

Some of the fan base would really really hate that option.

Thinking about it more, yeah they probably will avoid it, especially something like the automated villager production. I plan on trying it out on the xbox, and maybe on pc as well.