Age of Empires, 2, and 3 coming in new Definitive Editions

Sigh.

Yup. DOA.

What’s wrong with Windows 10?

Does ‘for Windows 10 PCs’ definitely imply it won’t run on 8?

Everything?

Nah. Win10 is fine. It’s the store that sucks.

I freely admit that my experience with the Windows store is limited but I mean, it’s just a place where you buy stuff right? The game should work the same regardless of where it came from shouldn’t it?

I’ve had no issues with Windows 10. I think I upgraded during their free upgrade period a while back.

I did keep my TV PC on Windows 7 because 10 took out Windows Media Center.

You can take Windows 7 OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS (or when I upgrade to a new rig).

My big complaint is that they are trying to keep it true to AoE 1, and lacking things like formations and Auto farms. There is a reason why AoE2 is the better game.

what-year-is-it-robin-williams

Wait what? AoE2’s formations were freaking awesome.

There are a few things they have changed, such as being able to walk through farms, but for the most part it is just AoE1 made prettier.

As someone that is still in a Windows 7 environment at work, and uses Windows 10 on his office PC and at home, Windows 10 is far superior to Windows 7. Anyone that didn’t upgrade when it was free really missed out, imo.

Things on the Windows 10 store are even easier than Steam, because you don’t need to have any software (like Steam or Origin) loaded, you simply pin the .exe to your task bar or a shortcut on your desktop (like in the old days, pre-Steam) and launch the game. It’s completely fine.

Oh I thought legowarrior meant they were removing formations from AoE2.

If the idea is to keep AoE1 the way it is, I don’t really mind that. I get why you might want to patch in improvements but I also like having access to gameplay the way it was at the time.

It will be interesting to see how AoE2 Definitive Edition turns out. Forgotten Empires has a couple former Ensemble folks now working for them, so hopefully it will go better than the HD edition.

Sandy Peterson! Sandy Peterson! Bring back Sandy!

Matt Pritchard and Rich Geldreich were announced a while back. Possibly others as well.

I think I will skip it if they don’t bring over the quality of life enhancements that made AoE 2 a better game.

Hell, I think I will start to skip any RTS that doesn’t bring have Rise of Nations ability to cycle through buildings with open technologies. That would be a great hotkey for any RTS, especially Age of Empires.