Age of Empires, 2, and 3 coming in new Definitive Editions

Has anyone tried a team game with the AI on the console? I noticed when playing with game settings that if you go higher than the 4 player map you get a warning about late game performance. I’m curious if there are any performance issues that you wouldn’t experience with pc since the series x should meet the recommended specs for a pc listed on the steam store page. They recommend 8gb ram and an older 1gb gpu, while the xbox series x has 16gb shared with a zen2 based cpu and rdna2 gpu. I don’t remember ever getting a warning like that on pc so it surprised me. I will probably try it later today to see if it dies in the late game.

3 and a half hours of Age of Mythology reviewed.

I’ll have to try and watch that over a number of days. :)

Nili’s Apartment Cup 4 finals are today.

Shit, I missed that.

Yeah it took me a few days to watch the 3 hour plus video. Enjoyable, but nothing something I could commit to all at once.

Apparently a huge patch is in beta right now. Adds a new pierce armor tech to the militia line. Spirit of the Law has a video about it, but I haven’t been able to watch the whole thing yet.

It’s huge. Hera did a video on it. And there was one of other age of empires channel that focused on it.

Infantry is the theme of this patch.

Also, buff to Malay, Viking and a few others.

Wow! That’s kinda nuts!

So, this could be great. Waiting to see what the regular AoE 2 commentators say.

I haven’t watched the trailer, but man, what a great idea.

"Welcome to Return of Rome, a completely new type of expansion pack which brings Age of Empires, the title that started it all, into Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as a brand new self-contained experience. This new expansion will allow you to challenge friends with the original sixteen Age of Empires civilizations — plus one brand-new Return of Rome exclusive civilization, the Lac Viet— and relive the triumph and trials of antiquity.

Battle your way across the ancient world with three new campaigns featuring conquerors, empire-builders, and gifted tacticians fighting desperately against fate! As an additional bonus, the Romans will no longer be bound by time as they become a new playable civilization within Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, ready to battle in the new Age."

I am a little annoyed that I’m rebuying Age of Empires DE again, but it seems to promise a lot. I never got into Age of Empires 1 like I did 2.

The Age of Empires: Rise of Rome demo was my introduction to the series (and RTS games in general) back in 1999. That wonderful, wonderful soundtrack is forever tattooed to my brain.

Hard to get too upset at the $13 price though, especially with it being moved to the age2 engine. New game mode that is popular with the Vietnamese Age1 players is being made an official mode as well.

Experience Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Quality of Life improvements to Age of Empires gameplay:

Gates
Formations
Trade carts
UI improvements
Visual improvements
Spectator mode
An enhanced AI for computer opponents
And much more!

Gates, formations, and trade carts should make for a new experience. 1 new civ, and 3 new voiced campaigns. I’ll definitely give it a shot. :)

I hope Spirit is wrong.

“Available in singleplayer and unranked multiplayer games.”

It was definitely my takeaway from the Steam store page that they are adding a Romans civilization to the AoE2:DE roster as part of the DLC.

If they are modeled after the late Western Roman Empire then it wouldn’t be too far fetched an idea. They already have the WRE, in name only currently, in some of the AoE2:DE campaigns after all. It’s not like The Huns don’t already push the boundaries for how far back the game will go for civilization ideas either.

My only objection to adding Romans into AoE2:DE as a new civilization would be if they transplanted the Republic or Imperial period of Rome into the game. Adding a Roman faction into the game that is based on the late WRE would make sense though, and raise very few objections with me since The Huns already exist.

That was great.

Until I watched the video, I had actually forgotten that Age of Empires IV existed. Age 1 and 2 remakes (DE) are the ones that loom large in my mind.

Personally, Age of Mythology Retold is the most exciting thing coming up!

Return of Rome is a completely new type of expansion, which brings classic Age of Empires gameplay, style and key experiences as a brand new self-contained experience.

When launching Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, to access Return of Rome, you will need to select the Return of Rome icon on the Main Menu to transition your game.

The Romans were intended as a bonus for you to enjoy in Singleplayer and Unranked Lobbies as an extra, on top of the content within Return of Rome.

However, we’ve been listening to your feedback and desire to see Romans as a ranked civilization.

Based on that feedback, we have decided to add Romans to the ranked queue in a future update.

We love seeing the passion of Age of Empires fans, and feedback like this helps us continue to create as many happy players as we can.

(12) How good are Kamayuks? (AoE2) - YouTube