Age of Empires II HD Coming to Steam

60GB?? Damn.

I can’t remember, are the campaigns in AoE 2 better than AoE 1? I tried one fairly recently and didn’t like the couple campaign games I played. I think it was herding a small group of units around the map.

What an odd mission.

The Joan of arc campaign has you do that in the 1st or 2nd mission I think.

What, fight the Aztec and the Japanese as the Byzantine?
With Battle Elephants?

Ah, I thought I was replying to rob.

I haven’t watched the games on video. I figure it is the same thing they had people play at e3

It will be interesting to see if the only community this matters to, i.e. everyone that plays on Voobly, takes to this.

I think it will depend on how well they mitigate the performance issues mentioned in the article, and I also think how well their spectator mode stuff compares to Capture Age could determine whether it gets adopted. If it runs crappy or has a bunch of bugs in November then I think the voobly folks and streamers will keep on doing wololokindgoms.

I think even if it does run well, the odds that anyone adopts it are pretty low, just because the competitive aspects of this are so based on muscle memory and familiarity. People are so used to identifying and reacting to visual cues, it’s very hard to migrate from that once it gets ingrained.

I don’t know. The addition of 4 new nations, and possible new unit might be too tempting. Also, the new MP system, if it’s more stable, will probably grab the attention of a lot of the top players in the game.

Finally, several of the top casters of AoE 2 HD have promised to do at least some content using DE.

Are the other campaign s generally better?

I can’t play HD version cause it refuses to use modern UI conventions. Thia one I’ll probably try.

Also even being HD it doesn’t support high resolutions.

I just played skirmish and slowly tower-turtled into the AI’s base repeatedly. I haven’t played AOE2 in some time now, this may not be a totally viable strategy without cheats.

There are a few high level stratd that involve building towers near enemy resources right away in the Feudal Age, and using towers to cover each other.

Just remember that villagers in towers deal bonus damage to towers and that Spainish build towers very quick.

Oh, and if you really want a fun time, Inca Villager rush is a thing, and it works.

???

Yeah, Inca Village rush. You send a large amount of villagers over while research the Feudal Age. As soon as you get their, you build a blacksmith and start researching some basic infantry tech. The Inca villagers benefit from basic infantry tech and defeat other villagers, and build up some towers at the same time.

Lol, I remember watching that t90 video. Hilarious strat.

I guess walls and towers, and just hoping to keep your workers working until you can get to castle age?

If anyone wonders how do you get this 25% off for owning AoE2HD - here’s how.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/11830/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition__Age_of_Empires_II_2013/