Age of Empires IV

We require more ziggurats.

Woololo launch detected.

What what in the what now?

Had no idea this was in the cards…

Speaking of AoE Online, apparently there is a fan made server, and you can still play it. Project Celeste.

Likewise. I only played the free beta for DoW 3 so maybe it’s not fair of me to judge the game, but I couldn’t stand the direction they went with it. A strategy and scale mix between DoW 1 and DoW 2 would have been amazing, instead - everything just felt wrong with DoW3.

AoE IV needs to be the best of 2 and 3, with quality of life improvements, maybe little bit of Rise of Nations thrown in, and no loot anything.

Hold on, now.

You guys are telling me they made a third Dawn of War game?

No, they made two Dawn of War games and then had a bowel movement.

Well, everybody poops.

Relic is the inverse version of Creative Assembly.

-Tom

Hehehhehe

I was excited about this announcement until you guys ruined it for me, by reminding me it’s 2017 and there are many, many ways a developer can screw up a beloved franchise.

And now R.E.M. is playing in my head with slightly different lyrics.

Well, everybody poops
Sometimes
Everybody farts

Good grief this looks pretty.

Ugh, this is being done by Relic? Enthusiasm tempered. Sure does look good, though.

When is it due?

Why do we have AoE 2 DE if this is coming out?

I was looking for that myself, doesn’t seem to have an announced date yet - the game player trailer just came out is all we get for now, I think.

@KevinC I like Relic, though tempered is a good word to use more recently. They know how to make an RTS though, I’ll give them that. Hopefully it’s a bit more … traditional than the last Dawn of War fiasco was.

@legowarrior I would imagine to pump up interest for this new game’s eventual release?

For my part, the last game that I felt like Relic really nailed was the original Company of Heroes. I felt like they dropped the ball with expansions to that title and it’s been a continual downward slide since then. I hated Dawn of War 2 aside from the co-op campaign and CoH 2 and DoW 3 were both total letdowns.

Anyway, not trying to be a downer. Seeing the Relic name at the end of the trailer was just like a glass of cold water thrown on my face. Nothing to say they can’t nail this one.

AoE2 has a very dedicated and vocal community of longtime players. They are some of the best advocates for the franchise as a whole.

Which they have because AoE 2 is still a fantastic game that few, if any, RTS ever topped for that style.

Seriously, late period isometric strategy games tend to hold up well, better than most early 3D ones of the same period.