Age of Empires IV

AOE Online ended up being very good.

AOEO in its final incarnation was pretty good, but I imagine it was an absolute nightmare before it got to that point.

I have zero faith in Relic turning out anything I want to play anymore, so this announcement does precisely nothing for me.

Yeah, Tom and I ended up playing a bit towards the end.

I didn’t play much AoE online, but I liked the lack of microtransactions in there. You could buy races for $8 each or something, and so get all the races available for sale for the price of a normal full game, wasn’t it? I thought that was really cool of them, to go against the tide of microtransactions that was starting at the time.

AOEO got really great right around the time they announced that it was going into maintenance mode instead of being actively worked on. Shame.

And yeah, the game was pretty awful at launch. The core RTS was decent, but the progression system to unlock stuff was horrible.

Darn. I was hoping it was one of those splinter studios that formed when Ensemble dissolved.

From Reddit, so take with huge grain-o-salt, but apparently DoW 3 was developed by the team that used to be THQ-Montreal, and this will be done by the folks in Vancouver. No idea if any of that is true, or matters since Vancouver still signed off on what came out as DoW 3.

To make sure I understand;
Garden goes to Zynga to learn the wonders of monetization, then he returns to Relic and they push out DOWIII. Now we have AOEIV in the distance, whose predecessor had numerous civs, lots of units, AND a card-based system.

I’m a little trepidatious.

We require more ziggurats.

Woololo launch detected.

What what in the what now?

Had no idea this was in the cards…

Speaking of AoE Online, apparently there is a fan made server, and you can still play it. Project Celeste.

Likewise. I only played the free beta for DoW 3 so maybe it’s not fair of me to judge the game, but I couldn’t stand the direction they went with it. A strategy and scale mix between DoW 1 and DoW 2 would have been amazing, instead - everything just felt wrong with DoW3.

AoE IV needs to be the best of 2 and 3, with quality of life improvements, maybe little bit of Rise of Nations thrown in, and no loot anything.

Hold on, now.

You guys are telling me they made a third Dawn of War game?

No, they made two Dawn of War games and then had a bowel movement.

Well, everybody poops.

Relic is the inverse version of Creative Assembly.

-Tom

Hehehhehe

I was excited about this announcement until you guys ruined it for me, by reminding me it’s 2017 and there are many, many ways a developer can screw up a beloved franchise.