Age of Wonders 3 - Eternal Lords expansion

To be fair, the Tigrans wholeheartedly subscribe to the credo of “the best defense is a suicidal offense,” which suits my AoW style just fine!

I’m conflicted on the game. On one hand, I loved it and played for a few hundred hours. On the other hand, I created a spreadsheet with buildings to construct / units to train for the first 40 turns or so, and for an 80-turns game it’s a bit too much. Anyone has an opinion on build orders in a turn-based game?

I really don’t need this but if Tigrans are just like Khajiit I may have to. I remember really loving AOW2:SM. Forging magic items was awesome. Should have played more of it but life got in the way.

Tigrans get to Pounce! (Jump on a unit within 3 hexes, hit it, and go into defensive mode afterwards!)
Tigrans get to Shapeshift! (Their priestesses’ support ability turns them into a werejaguar, which heals them 15 HP and can Pounce!)
Tigrans get to Praise the Sun! (Their T3 is an irregular that has a piercing shooty fire attack that blows up every damn thing!)

They’re relatively flimsy in melee, and if you can lock them down they are at a severe disadvantage. But they’re freakin’ awesome, I’m telling you.

Also they are adorbs.

I thoroughly enjoyed AoW III. One aspect that stood out for me was the world generation where I felt like I was in this classic fantasy world. There might be a barren island tucked away across the seas to the west of my location, home city to a race of dragons. Or a long lonely path that terminates at a small inn in a marshy swampland. Granted, much of this stemmed from imagination as a result of the random generator, but it did so, and truth be told, no map ever felt the same.

I was sad to hear that Triumph weren’t able to do more with the game, apparently a result of memory cap above all else. I would have loved to see the underworld get a little more love, and even bring in the shadow realm once again. But for what we have in the game, it is still incredibly solid and absolutely worth buying.

A 64-bit AoW4 would be one of the things to get me back into the genre.

Thanks for the feedback - we’re hard at work on something new and exciting. Can’t tell much at this point, but can say we’ve gone 64 bit native.

I wish all of you nothing but the best luck and goodwill. I’m excited to see what your next project is too.

Selfishly, I also hope you can revisit the Age of Wonders world in some capacity in the future, but a new project has piqued my interest.

-Todd

Yes! I will be following with keen interest, as will most anyone here I’m certain.

And boughten. Sigh, I have no will power. I just got Shogun 2, Sengoku Jidai, Order of Battle: Pacific plus a bunch of other games from $1 bundles and whatnot. On the positive side, I’m going through the tutorial and really enjoying it so far.

You can tell us, your secret is safe! :)

Hot tip!

It’s a strategy game.

Is it? Was that stated somewhere, or is that speculation based on their past work? I want it to be - those guys know strategy games - but I wasn’t aware anyone actually knew anything for sure… But I haven’t been haunting the forums since March when they had their last news update, either.

It’s called Age of Numbers, where you play ancient Babylonians conquering the world via the power of mathematics. Rated E for Everyone.

From the two job description announcements posted in the last week:

Jobs
C++ Strategy Gameplay Programmer
Description: For its next strategy game, Triumph Studios is looking for an experienced gameplay programmer to join the team.

Your goal is to build a tower that will reach the center of the galaxy.

An alternative name is Master of Science.

One of you gifted me the game. Thank you so much. I had planned to do my 10 year hiatus on strategy games from 2014-2024, and start catching up on the ones I missed in 2025. But now that I’ve received this as a gift, I feel like I should play it. I don’t need the expansions to get the best experience out it right? From what I gathered in this thread, just the updates and patches that came alongside the expansions should be enough to make AoW3 a great game, right?

I caved to peer pressure and picked up the full package. I haven’t played AoW since the original, so it’ll be interesting to see what’s changed.