Age of Wonders 3

Funny (or not funny), but I actually bought AOW3 twice, once on GOG then again on Steam with all the DLC. And I couldn’t get into it. I tried, I really did. It just wouldn’t grab me for some unfathomable reason. So yay for offering it for free!

I love the Civ and early HoMM games. I’m hoping Planetfall will be different and I may still give AOW3 a try again. By all accounts, AOW3 should have been right up my alley.

I am in the same boat, @Equisilus. I should love AOW3, as it has a lot of elements I really enjoy, but it’s never hooked me. I’ve started five or six games and the campaign, but I’m still at 29 hours total played. Maybe that’s not enough time to get hooked?

I still plan to buy the new Planetfall game next month, though.

I’m one of the folks that bounced straight off the campaign for this one. If I hadn’t circled back and tried a random map campaign I would of dropped this really fine game never knowing what I’d missed.

Here’s a suggestion if it’s not worked for you up to this point. Fire up a random campaign, load it with 5 AI’s, then set it to teams and make it so you and one AI are on a team faced off against 2 other AI teams. The rest of the parameters about map size and what not you can set to personal tastes (I wouldn’t however turn on the underground on this play thru as that effectively doubles the map size and bogs things down a bit from a gameplay perspective). Then have at it.

Play the majority of the tactical battles yourself, that’s a large part of what makes this one fun. Of course If the tactical battles don’t float your boat, this may never end being your cup o tea.

I did not find the campaign worthwhile. I played random maps, for the most part, and with friends.

Original campaign was a bit dull. Expansion campaigns were much better I thought.

Also…time for another round of play by email?

But of course!

Not done it before but I’d gladly join in!

A pbem match for qt3ers?

Yes please.

Also, to affirm what was said before, don’t do the campaign until you’ve done a few random maps.

I tired the campaign a few times and I could never make it through. Its just too contrived with certain planned events. You also do not get to spend much time with each hero archetype.

Interest piqued.

Shall I set a game up then?

Sure. Since I’ll be relearning the game as I go, I expect others to accept my treaty offers without hesitation. :-)

If anyone has any requests now would be a good time to air them.

I propose:

Large map (5 human players)

No mods.

48 hr timer.

FFA or teams? I’ve never played AoW3 MP, so I’m not sure what the options are.

Whatever options you want!

I’d be in for PBEM as well if there’s still room.

With you I count 6.

Large map is perfect for 6.

I’m thinking if no alliances/no teams is enforceable via a game setting during game creation, that would be the way to go, unless the majority wants to play a 2v2v2 or 3v3 game.

Is there any interest in a parallel comp stomp game?

I just remembered that I’ll be away from my computer from next Thursday till the Monday so I’ll not be able to join unfortunately!