Age of Wonders 3

In the SA forum a dev is answering questions

Straight from Lascha himself:

• Support for randomly selected AI players, so you don’t know who you’ll be encountering.
    Yes, in fact you cannot select leaders for AI players in random maps; they are always random as it is now. I’m not familiar if there are plans to allow the user to select leaders for AI, but I understand how this would be useful as well.
  • Also, is one of the not visible sliders in the “flow” section a reward quality slider and/or a reward generating structure frequency slider? (like the one in SM)
    You can set the frequency of exploration site structure, more structures equals more rewards. Quality of the reward depends on the difficulty to explore the structure; the reward is not something RMG controls directly.
  • It would also be awesome if you could also adjust the type of treasure returned, making it more likely for rewards to favour items over units, or vice versa.
    It would indeed But I don’t think it’ll make it into the game for initial release, and I would also need to discuss such features with other developers but who knows, maybe in a DLC or patch

Game flow settings explained, courtesy of Lascha:

Game flow is a term that describes a collection of settings that have a direct impact on the generation of ‘game objects’. These settings allows control over stuff like amount of independent cities, resource sites, pickups, roads, (relative) distance between player spawn points, start with pioneer or a large city, etc, etc. You can modify them all in the advanced options OR you can select a pre-configured one in the quick-start menu (Normal, Adventure, Empire Building, Battle).

So, you can preselect one type of game, then modify it further from the advanced options (which were displayed in the screenshots).

What is the projected eta?

I think it was March.

The game cant come too soon.

Thanks for the info Edirr, very cool stuff.

Yeah, March is what they are aiming for now (it was supposed to be out late last year, but they wanted extra time to really nail it, hopefully that works out for them (and us)). Probably the game I’m most excited for this year.

From Arnout:

Map Sizes (width x height)
S 57×33
M 89×49
L 113×65
XL 145×81

Given what we know of the random map generator, you can create maps with surface + underground, the biggest maps you can get right out of the box will be twice the listed sizes, since those are level sizes. Whether there will be more options in the map editor later remains to be seen and Triumph will share information on that when it is time.

Also from the official site, Game section:

Requirements – Minimum:
[ul]
[li]OS: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
[/li][li]CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @2.6 Ghz
[/li][li]RAM: 2 GB
[/li][li]HDD: 10 GB
[/li][li]Graphics: nVidia 8800 / ATi Radeon HD 3870 with 512MB or Laptop integrated Intel HD 3000 with 3GB system ram
[/li][li]Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
[/li][li]DirectX: Version 9.0c
[/li][li]Internet: Open connection for online multiplayer
[/li][li]Screen Resolution: 1024*786
[/li][/ul]

Requirements – Recommended:
[ul]
[li]OS: Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
[/li][li]CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom X4 9900 @ 2.6 Ghz
[/li][li]RAM: 4 GB
[/li][li]HDD: 10 GB
[/li][li]Graphics: nVidia Geforce 460 1GB or AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
[/li][li]Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
[/li][li]DirectX: Version 9.0c
[/li][li]Internet: Open connection for online multiplayer
[/li][li]Screen Resolution: 1920*1080
[/li][/ul]

So in the recommended specs it bumps from a Core 2 Duo to Quad… does this mean the game is multithreaded? Or rather, does it benefit significantly from more cores? I’m not really worried about performance in TBS, I’m just curious because I thought most games had minimal multithreading and basically could only use one core (cf the Mantle/Nitrous thread).

It’s not a yes/no thing. There are degrees of multithreading, from 0 to some, to a lot, and from “badly done” to “really efficient”.

PRS preview

Nice find Turin, thanks! I’ll check it out now.

I actually came here just to point out AoW3 is on steam, though it’s just listed as “Coming Spring 2014” with no pre-order button or anything.

I really can’t wait for this game. March is going to be a packed gaming month!

It’s not on the news page, but it looks like the Archdruid character screen is live.

http://ageofwonders.com/classes/archdruid/

EDIT - holy crap, complete with an 18 min gameplay video!

EDIT2 - Oh man, that video was just perfect. I’m at a fever pitch over here. I suspect I’ll be taking a day off from work when this drops…

Although the map looks nice, I don’t like the look of the characters and monster portraits and models.

That looked fantastic! Was interested in this ever since I first heard about it since Shadow Magic is by far the closest Master of Magic-like I’ve ever played, but that video put me into “Probably preorder once it shows up on Steam” territory.

Yeah the models look pretty hideous. That elf looks like a vampire, but the maps are nice. At least you can tell the models from each other; I guess that is adequate for playing.

Cool video!

Now, I don’t like that the relationship with the druid he found turned from polite to “hateful” because he made an alliance offer and it was rejected.

I think that was because his alignment had changed to evil, it seemed to me.

EDIT - Looking at her diplomacy screen, I see a handy info card along the right that explains what affected her relationship, and it took a 300 point dip when he declared war on that neutral orc city, as well as several infractions of cancelling open borders (??) so maybe that’s what happened?

This will probably be the first game in a long time that I don’t wait for reviews and I don’t wait for a sale to buy. I loved the earlier versions. Is March firm for release or might it slip again?

Does anyone know if the retail version will include a printed guide? The AoW1 guide was full of lore and awesome. I still look at it from time to time. Alternatively, will there a collector’s edition with an art book? I know the devs get more of a cut with digital downloads, but those printed goodies would tempt me…

The RMG alone has me giddy. And the map editor.