Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

It’s certainly possible I missed the ability, but I did look the two times this has happened and never figured out what it was. That’s why I thought maybe the “new” unit didn’t have the mod/ability anymore so wasn’t listed. No idea, but I’ll start paying more attention now each time I fight them because otherwise it’ll drive me nuts. Sometimes I can’t turn my brain off on some of this stuff until I figure it out. :)

It’s a mod those bugs get sometimes. Wish they’d share their secret!

Even fighting the Assembly, I couldn’t figure out which units could resurrect and when. Some units would die and then respawn as a “Spawn of Despair” or some such.

What’s the name of the ability or mod that lets units resurrect themselves?

Spawn of Despair I can help with! It’s a Psi ability, Devour Hope or something? Psi-based heroes get it, if the unit dies with that effect on a Spawn of Despair will rise from the ground.

It’s a mod they have.

Also, it should say in the battle log, accessed by clicking the scroll like thing top right of battle screen.

It’s not the clearest battle log in the world :P.

working as intended? :P

I agree - I will never express anything but love for every time the AI and the units surprise me, more of that I say.

I think you mean “mods can make things more complex” which is a good thing™ and should be celebrated. Every time something like this happens it’s kind of me to have taken the time to review my opponents at the start of the battle, which I don’t often do. Which leads to “why does this enemy gunship hit all my freaking units in an explosive AOE?” and then “Oh, this crazy fire burst mod is changing its fire attacks to deal 50% of it’s damage to adjacent hexes. That’s amazing. And I want it.” And so I built it, and now I have two of those gunships in my own army. It’s amazing.

Hah, put that on Assembly snipers along with the rail extension mod.

10 hex long fiery death.

I made vanguard void soldiers with jet packs. They dash toward the target, hit the jetpack, duplicate themselves, and both they and their doubles are in CC with a target with one attack each to get the party started, along with the distortion burst occurring in a hex around the clone unit as it appears.

You know, I finished work feeling rough, and I really focused hard on the negatives with the campagin. There are positives, which I’m glad you pointed out.

I do like the fact the maps are randomised. It was a nice surprise when I restarted a campaign and realised the map was not the same as before. A second thing I like is that Commander gear (for Vanguard at least) goes over from one mission to the next. It does feel like a bit of continuity there. Never mind that the tech tree restarts, but that’s ok. Doing the right thing by Tibbles is pretty worthwhile.

My main issue is the scope though. Feels too big, and you’re right, it is just difference in perspective.

Thanks with the help on Spawn of Despair! I’ll look for Devour Hope or something like that.

Wait…my syndy Promethean fire throwers are indentured?

(Chuckles Syndicately)

I tried the AOE fire mod. I liked it so much I nodded every single unit. This ends up being a big problem when you shoot units in melee range as you cook your own dudes.

Worth it, though. So worth it. Sorry, frontline bros.

You shouldn’t cook your own brothers. I know that’s probably not codified in your Moral Guidebook of Choice, but I think it’s heavily implied!

I can’t find it in my Syndicate edition.

I was pretty surprised I had to go all the way to the 3rd page of Steam’s best seller page to find Planetfall, behind games like Rimworld, Divinity Original Sin 2, The Forest, etc. A bunch of much older titles not currently on sale.

Has this game sold poorly? Between it being summer and EGS snatching up exclusives, Steam hasn’t exactly been bombarded with high-profile new releases lately. I would hate to think it’s doing poorly, I think it’s an excellent game that keeps getting better the more I play.

It was #1 on release day. Probably not anything to worry about.

I’m revising my thoughts on using the auto system for combat. The game is so long as it is I wanted to move through it a bit faster so now use auto on all safe battles unless I want to learn to use new units, how to defend against new units, or just want to have some fun. In tougher battles, I feel I can often eke out a better result if I do it myself (sometimes).

I only started paying attention to ‘visit sites’ on the world map and also finally saw these areas that regenerate your move points for you when you pass over them. The map really doesn’t make things obvious. I was spending too much time paying attention to marauders, other civs, and sectors and not enough time really looking at all the other advantages (and disadvantages) strewn around the map.

The thing that drives me nuts is the frequency of losing a unit even on Safe battles, where I really have no business losing anything. An example from last night would be two full stacks of highly experienced (max rank or near), heavily modded T1 and T2 units led by three heroes against an army of 4 of those jumper bugs resulted in the loss of a unit. That’s ridiculous, considering when I played it manually they couldn’t even reach me before dying.

I find this to be a problem in both early game and later. Early game, the attrition can set you behind. In the later game, it can whittle away at your attack armies in enemy territory that are difficult to reinforce.

IMO, a Safe battle should result in no casualties so that I know I can auto them. I’d say I lose a unit 40% of the time on them, which often results in me manually doing the battle. This is especially important when playing with a couple other players since more people feeling like they have to manual easy battles bogs the game down unnecessarily.