Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I did. Was a bit down on AOW as well.

I think there’s something… hmm. Let me put it like this, I think (trying to parse out my issue here):

In Total War games, you can win 2 to 1 or even 3 or 4 to 1, in the right circumstances, with the right units, heroes, spells or defenses. Here… I feel like… that’s not the game being played. The game being played is one where ideally, you never lose a single unit. Which is great… but if you’re outnumbered… 2 to 1… you’re not really going to not lose units. Frankly, you’re quite possibly not going to win, especially in the early-mid game, which tbh is about all i’ll ever really get to, most of the time.

But unlike in Total War, you… don’t really have epic defeats. You have setbacks and mistakes. It’s more like Civilization rather than an RTS or Total War game, where every decision builds on every other decision, and too many negative results doesn’t make an epic campaign, it just means you have to restart.

And that means that when I fight, every fight has to be played perfectly. Every facing, every mod, every special ability. And that’s… great! For a little while. Doing that with 18 or 24 or 30 units though… or doing it dozens and dozens of times, over and over again, that’s just…

… tiring.