Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

Keep your units pure or upgrade them with alien stuff?

each secret tech represents a Sci fi trope

ahh the inevitable alpha centauri question…

Penguins may be in.

11 units per race, 3-4 per tech.

It all sounds awesome, I’m properly intrigued, but I really want to see this in action. I hope we get some footage in the coming months, and find out it’s a Q1 release, not something 19 months out yet. I mean, I want it to come out when it’s ready, I just hope it’s ready sooner rather than later! :)

Gah, I just realized I might need to upgrade my PC to play it. AoW3 runs flawless, but my machine was middle of the road when I built it 7 years ago.

If they need shitty players as beta testers I’ll upgrade sooner.

Largest maps will be huge. As in maybe 200 sectors massive.

Sectors being 40 odd hexes on average.

Do the maths!

Sector trading is in.

Sectors need to be connected to be of benefit. And can be cut off and isolated. Think a bit like company of heroes.

There will be 12 players max. up from 8.

sea monsters are in.

There will be a throne (headquarters) and leader mechanic.

Looking forward to seeing gameplay footage. I’m especially interested in the tactical combat since it sounds a bit X-COMy in the abstract.

That could be an interesting change.

Even though 3 did not grab me hard (maybe I did not give it enough of a chance), this does look interesting. Also chiming in to be able to follow the thread.

So, convention is done and dusted.

That was interesting.

I bought AoW3 twice (GoG and Steam) and still haven’t managed to make it stick even though TBS is a favourite genre of mine. Definitely watching how this comes together.

Btw, you don’t have to reply in a thread to follow or watch it. You can change it any time by selecting the options just above the reply area or the bottom of the scroll bar.

track%20thread

Reading a bit more info over on the Triumph forums, it sounds like this is still pre-alpha and that’s why we haven’t any footage yet. Perhaps too early for an announcement even, but hopefully they can get it all together and make it as wonderful as the promise for it hints at. The sentiment is “late 2019” over there, which is pure speculation, but speculation by people that were talking to the devs this weekend. I’ll probably have to keep this off my radar for another 12 months just to not go mad.

Sure I am in :)

Will it have Floyd?

No, first thing I thought of. THIS IS NOT PLANETFALL.

You’re not.

Press stuff from Mother Russia.

PCGamer has an article on AoWP:

As teased in the trailer above, Planetfall has sci-fi-inspired, turn-based, ranged combat—which makes comparisons to XCOM inevitable, reckons Sas. He admits features such as cover, overwatch and destructible terrain accentuate the link, but suggests the way battles play out stands the two apart.

“I think what’s different with XCOM is that our battles need to be concise, they can’t last for one hour,” says Sas. “They need to allow for a large variety of [participants] be that critters, monsters, tanks, airstrikes. Once you play, I think you’ll notice numerous, quite significant differences between the two.”

One significant different between Age of Wonders of old and Planetfall, however, is the busyness of battlefields. Whereas Age of Wonders 3’s manual battles unfolded on a flat field, where obstacles solely served to impact movement—Planetfall has high ground, explosive cars and biodomes.

“There’s a lot more interaction with the terrain compared to previous Age of Wonders games,” says Sas. "In terms of hazards, the simple things like explosive cars show that.

That description makes me a lot more interested in this. I mean this being Triumph I was going to buy this regardless, but I like what I’m hearing…