Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

How’s performance, for anyone running on an older computer?

How old? I built my PC in the summer of '14 and I’m getting over 100FPS steady.

I’m having no trouble on a rig built in 2009. Granted, the graphics card and RAM has been updated since.

I think the performance issue is mostlly about turn times in late game and not about FPS?

That’s not very clear, but I’ll answer that as well.

With simultaneous turns on my own turns were taking way, way longer than the AI turns (this is all the way up to turn 130+ with a medium map and 6 players, thought it was 5 players by the time the game ended) - ending the turn had me playing again in seconds on my next turn, but like any other game such as this, you can speed up turn times considerably by turning off movement animations on the strategy layer (or right-clicking while units move in your view to speed them up one at a time).

~2013 AMD processor and a 1060TI. Sounds like I’ll be okay! Reading this thread and fondly remembering AoW 1 and 2 has amped me up for this game.

YES!!!

I love how they have baseline Sadism.
Because they’re still evil AF.

Doh! I think I forgot to do that on the pc and I definitely haven’t on the Xbox. Thanks!

Reminder as well that at any time you can right-click to turbo-speed any current animation. So if your’e moving an army or unit, double-right click will blip it over there while still maintaining your overall animation speed settings.

Back in town now and I’ve resumed my second skirmish game. The Assembly are fun.

For whatever reason, I lean toward ranged weapons over melee, but maybe that’s just the factions I’m playing. I’ve got some snipers now in my main Assembly army, and those Kir’ko bugs can’t touch me. Dead before they’re halfway to me. Pew pew pew!

yes,I’ve been doing that, but it gets tiring.

Triumph really needs to sell some dire penguin plushies.

That’s how I have my Bukwarks set up. I’m sure they’ll get their shots in soon.

I’m kind of getting a rut (as much as 3 times is considered a rut). I expand until I run into neighbors. See that they have 3 stacks of armies running around together. Decide I’m going for the weapon of mass destruction victory and avoid fighting.
1 stack each, great!
2 stacks each, still pretty fun.
3 stacks each, arggg I don’t want to bother.

robc04 --in my limited experience --it does seem if you want to really win the big battles you have to bring the stacks in … this is a game thing I am sure. One stack just --well, in my experience, cannot win against some of the bigger battles. I need to play more… I could be wrong.

You’re right, I just find that many units too tedious so I just don’t attack. Sometimes they attack me though and I don’t have a choice :-) 1-2 stack is my sweet spot for enjoyment. When I had to fight some bigger battles I just brought a lot of extra firepower and autoresolved it with some minimal loses.

I guess what I was saying is that when it gets to that point I just go for the doomsday weapon victory.

I did like playing with Kir’ko unit that lets me eat enemy units. That was fun. I just finished out my third skirmish weapon of mass destruction victory.

This has always been my big issue with the AOW series. The big battles are just too tedious and too long. I end up autoresolving most of the time.

Well, my last two games have been ended by game-crashing bugs that I can’t move beyond without loading back turns in advance and just praying it works.

Weird that my first game went flawlessly and now it feels like a very unstable beta.

I’ll check back in a few weeks and see if it’s more playable. I submitted my crash reports, at least.

I used to dread the large battles at the end of AoW3. I think planetfall battles aren’t quite as big, but l too find 3 stacks too much.