Agents of Mayhem - Volition's post Saints IP

I read somewhere there were two DLC agents. Anyone know if there’s another, or is that an error?

The console DLC preorder bonus is an agent called Lazarus. From googling I would assume we get her on PC eventually.

Just don’t know if I can play a ‘successor’ to the Saints Row series w/o Ms. Kensington in it. Especially since she made the trip over to S. Korea according to the end of GooH.

Heh. Funny you would say that, because as I was playing yesterday, there was this random conversation that played as I was jumping from rooftop to rooftop searching for crystal shards.

Basically, someone calls Rama and she answers. It’s Gat, but he seems confused. Rama then says “you were trying to call Kinzie, weren’t you?” and he says something like “Oh… well… anyway… nice talking to you!” and hangs up.

I giggled. I hope to see more of those in the game.

I’m not sure what I think of this game. It’s fun, but jarring on how different it is from Saints. The world just isn’t alive at all and it is really detracting from my immersion. The shooting and stuff is fun, and I love the whole 80’s GI Joe vibe.

Yesterday, while I waited for a Global Operation to complete, I just walked around in the city for a while, and it’s filled with nice surprises here and there. There is character to the city Volition created here, even if I get why it feels “less alive”.

good to know, im still early in the game and havent really spent time ‘sightseeing’ yet, just running mission to mission.

Don’t get me wrong - don’t go looking for the plethora of activities you had in Saints Row 2 because you won’t find those at all. There are activities here and there, but AoM is not quite that kind of game - it’s far more focused, and the city is but a backdrop to most of the content, but it does have some charm of its own.

I think the big point is - this is not Saints Row. It’s a spin-off game that’s effectively in a different genre, and expectations should be adjusted as such.

Lots of npc’s in this game are taking selfies, its like the most important thing to do in Seoul.

It would have been pretty cool to photobomb them and have it turn up on the in game tv’s. :p

Sounds realistic.

The game clicked for me. The combat flow is dynamic, pure dance.

It helps that this is a polished game (minus the bugs), the high quality cartoon videos, the setting is a bit more complex than it sell itself. But then theres the excess of customization the game thrown at you in hope theres something you enjoy. I do. I like to play with Bradock, Fortune and Kingpin. Each one is a powerhouse in their own way, also weak in other way.

Make sure to scan everywhere. I love Volition so much!

Anyone know how to switch from day to night time? Its wayyyy easier to see shards and chests at night.

Also Nvidia has a driver out for AoM. version 385.28

What difficulty are you guys playing at? I’m still early but noticed a sizable challenge bump when I raised it from 2 to 4 which made the battles more interesting.

Maybe I should go all the way to 9 for “Agent of Mayhem” level ? ;)

Why stop at 9? Might as well take the next step to 10!

I played through most of the game with the difficulty pegged at 10. I did, however, turn the difficulty down to 1 for the boss fights (after playing the Hammersmith boss fight over and over, I decided I had better things to do). Now that I’ve got levels 11-15 unlocked, I’m finding that 15 is too often a beatdown. I’m currently running at 12.

-Tom

God this game is sooooooooooo good. It hasn’t quite hit any of the high highs that Saints Row the Third did (yet), but I’m digging the GI Joe aesthetic, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is a blast.

I’m loving the game so far, but there are some things keeping it from being perfect. The game is missing alot of ambient sound and music… don’t know if its a bug or they seriously had a budget issue and cut it from the game to just ship it. And with the framerates, I dropped the shadow details and got a good 30-40fps bump to 70ish with everything else maxed, on a 1080. Game looks Overwatch nice. But seriously? most of the cons on the game shouldn’t detract from an otherwise very good action/rpg shooter (I’m about 25% thru campaign). It’s definitely in the 8 or 9 out of 10 range for me.

As Tom has already pointed out, the meat of the game is the combat and the mix-up of heroes and moba mechanics. Alot of the game reminds me of a shooter version of Darkspore (somewhat underrated and forgotten). Like Darkspore it has the gameplay and mechanics down pat, but does it have enough content? For me, it seems to be enough. And it has replayable missions, a difficulty slider, loot, and character progression (you can level post 20). What else do you fucking need? The game could use a mission scoreboard… or maybe i missed it?

What combos are you guys running? I have everybody but I am not finding combos between characters like I thought I would. Maybe I just need to look harder, right now I am farming all the legion lairs for legion tech, because those can break out some surprisingly powerful mods but still, I don’t see a bunch of ‘use this char to stun then this char to do double damage to stunned people’.

Or, more likely, I am just missing it out because I don’t understand all the vulnerability, stun, blind, status etc differences.

It doesn’t only have to be damage bonuses that determine your combos! I’m still early, but Hardtack and Rama are both characters that benefit from stuns and blinds without granting extra damage, since Hardtack needs to be up close and Rama needs the extra time for her power shots.I like to use Hollywood’s grenade to blind enemies, switch to Hardtack to shotgun everyone up close, switch to Fortune to stun, switch back to Hardtack, and so on.

I dislike his Mayhem mines, but everything else about him is good imho. So TANKY! :D

Ooh, Tom’s going to be so mad!