Agents of Mayhem - Volition's post Saints IP

How do you determine your FPS? I’m using a 1080 as well, and although I’m not running at 4k, I’ve got the settings cranked up. It feels smooth to me, but I don’t know how to tell you what sort of framerate I’m actually getting.

-Tom

GeForce Experience has a built in FPS counter I believe, you could enable that or use a little program like MSI afterburner which you can configure to display all sorts of info like cpu temp, ram usage etc or plain old FPS.

Steam overlay has an option to display it.

You’d want to look at some of the high-end Nvidia settings though, unless you’re comparing to Witcher running with it’s hair settings maxed out.

Stuff like Nvidia PCSS+/Nvidia HFTS and Nvidia volumetric god rays could tank the frames, and possibly screen space reflections, if those are all enabled in the no-doubt-highest setting you’re using.

As an aside, the game also calls for a recommended spec of 12GB of system RAM!

Is anyone playing this on PS4?

Yeah I turned those all down / off and it had minimal effect in the intro corridor. I gained maybe 4 FPS.

The 1080, isn’t a great 4k card. The 1080 Ti approaches decent 4k performance, but there is no great single GPU 4K card. Yeah, you can play a few games well, and more games acceptably, but if you want to dial everything up to Ultra, 1440p is still the sweet spot for single GPU rigs.

Hi! I’m a GTX1080 owner. Been one for almost a year now. So, I know it can and cannot do. Like, I know it really well.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Again - it plays the Witcher 3 on High in the middle of a city with dozens of NPCs as well as this game on high in an empty corridor.

I’m not trying to be condescending, sorry if it came off that way. I have a 1080 Ti, and I’d stick to my previous assertion. There’s no great single GPU solution for 4k. Still too many compromises.

Got this and just finished the first mission. It’s called “Operation Spin-Off”. Lol. Love the tone so far.

I am. No problems so far (about four hours in). Not sure if it matters but I’m on a Pro. Game looks great, loading times are just long enough to show the hilarious “the more you know” parodies and it controls great. Already looking forward to jumping back in tomorrow night.

Oh, cool, that’s going to be very helpful in the future.

It seems odd to me that you’re having issues. We’re both using the same videocard, but I’m at 2560 to your 4k. With the graphics set to “high”, I’m running at a steady 60fps, with the number occasionally dipping into the high 50s during combat. Which is as I’d expect. This is obviously just a later iteration of whatever engine they were using in Saints Row. It shouldn’t be very taxing.

If you come down to 2560, I bet you wouldn’t have any issues. Frustrating, I’m sure, if you’re used to 4k resolution, but it beats having to play through with a crappy framerate.

-Tom

Yeah, once you go 4k you never go back. ;)

Setting Planar Reflection to Normal and Disabling Screen Space Reflection picked me up a whopping 14 FPS, bringing that barren opening corridor to 52 FPS.

Good enuff!

I have the same card as you and while I don’t own this game I had the same trouble with Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds at 4k. Playing at 1440p should still look good, if you are having trouble with resolution upscaling (as I used to) make sure you tell your Nvidia card to handle the upscaling as it will look 10000x better than if you let your monitor handle the resolution upscaling. At least that’s the case with my monitor.

Another unrelated note, but the Witcher 3 at 4k was just pants… (pants means good)

If more of these games used some of the checkerboarding techs that are around they’d have better success at holding 4k. I think Watch Dogs 2 is one of the few that implemented it recently on PC.

I played through the intro and first basic level, but overall I’m not feeling this game very much.

I have to agree that there’s zero sensation of being hit by the bad guys so suddenly one of your agents will just drop dead and you’re like wat

As far as performance goes, my game defaulted to 4k Ultra, which I hate, so I set it to “high”. Ultra is usally just frame-killing pixel wankery anyway.

Almost 30fps difference for me in places, between high and ultra (1080ti @ 1440p). :P

Though the planar/ss reflections are nice, they’re real expensive…

There’s similar performance gaps between the other settings, so seems they’re reasonably set up for a variety of hardware levels.

I’m about 4-5 hours in and the game definitely has some design hiccups. I’m liking it overall, but I can see where some of the complaints are coming from.

I think a strong point is the Agents themselves. Everyone has that broad caricature design that makes each person distinctive and easy to associate with their capabilities. They’ve got the “hero-shooter” approach down in that regard. It helps that the Agent missions (so far) are the best bits of the game.

The cartoon presentation is good too. When you’re going for broad laughs, go all the way. Making the whole thing a send-up of GI Joe versus Cobra crossed with Saints Row humor is kind of genius since the Saints series pretty much went down that path anyway.

The synergies between the 3-person team is great. Flipping between a tank to the DPS to the support with press of a button while in the middle of a firefight is slick and works better than I anticipated. Add the Gadgets, Gremlin Tools, and different powers to the mix and the dynamic presents some very interesting combinations.

Less successful is the city itself. I don’t think I’m alone when I say that Volition’s open-world city design isn’t cream-of-the-crop. Something about the way they make their neighborhoods and unique buildings just doesn’t work. It all kind of blends into a generic mish-mash of whatever the overall setting is supposed to be. (Does anyone remember anything distinctive about Steelport?) Here, the weak city design is hampered by the even more generic white and chrome “near future” setting. It’s the Brink or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare architecture coupled with copy-paste faux-Korean signs. It kind of works in some areas, but it’s mostly a gaggle of impossible and seemingly purposeless buildings surrounded by elevated glass roads.

I can also anticipate that the takeover and side mission stuff will get repetitive. I think you can mitigate that by increasing the difficulty so the game remains challenging, but I suspect most people will just leave that at the default, (or worse, go lower) so the activities become annoyances rather than presenting any friction. But even then, the missions are going to seem pretty grindy.

I think the team synergy gameplay is also the thing that puts a lot of people off. It’s such a different mechanic that I think it’s hard for people to adapt. Attacking, switching to fire off an ultimate, then switching again to take advantage of the condition effect is a lot to manage for people used to sticking with one hero in most games. The way you can go from healthy and fighting to very quickly being incapacitated is an additional adjustment.

It doesn’t help that the initial Agent unlock missions are solo affairs. AFAIK, the game doesn’t even bother to give a handwave explanation for why or how the agent swapping works. It does, and it’s the core of the game, but there’s no story reason for it. It literally happens in the tutorial with nary a moment’s pause. Why wouldn’t Mayhem attack objectives as a team from different directions, rather than teleport swapping Agents? In fact, why aren’t all twelve Agents working on stuff together? It’s frankly weird.

I agree with the people that say the key to enjoying this game is to treat it like an ARPG instead of a singleplayer hero shooter. Get used to synergizing heroes and powers. Relish the grind of the missions.

I’m a few hours in now and have some more impressions. Agree with Telefrog about the art style. The only architecture I really remember from the Saint’s Row games was the one where there was a huge statue of a worker or something and there is a mission centered around it. Was that SR3? The one where the military shows up and there is the zombie area of town.

The art style is hit and miss in this game. It perfectly suits the cartoony Overwatch style but yea, it seems generic so far. I think the SR2 even had different areas like slums, nice areas, etc. This is a cyber utopia kind of city.

That being said, I think its easier to think of the instant switch mechanic as just switching between weapons. Switch to shotgun, switch to sniper, etc. Of course its deep than that but when moving from a large open area to a corridor I always switch to shotgun guy and when going into a big open room I switch to a more long range weapon. The other stuff works like that too, you try out combos and ways to chain effects.

I will say I think health hit feed back could use improvement. Tom defended it pretty well but what he didn’t mention there (but he did mention in his review) is that the game is very, very busy with flashing lights and particle effects and lasers shooting everywhere. Its incredibly easy to miss the visual cues. I mostly rely on sound cues, i.e. pain sounds.

Also, I love the idea of the Mayhem powers, but the charge meter seems way too slow. I only get to use a Mayhem ability once per mission or so.

Looking forward to exploring the system they’ve built and the characters.