Agents of Mayhem - Volition's post Saints IP

Always this:

It can get very bad with this game, I don’t even use the frozen Colossus dude because I can’t see shit while using him. I have gotten better at reading the clues but I still die ‘instantly’ rather than seeing it coming.

I do love the rapid switching, poorly explained that it is. It takes a bit to get used to it, but I relish the idea of setting up combos between them. Which is more theory than fact right now due to my current choice of characters. I could have swore I had another character that did extra damage to stunned targets, but I guess not. I have just 8 characters unlocked so far though and most of them don’t have a 1/4th of their basic skills yet.

Here is my first major critcism, and it’s a huge one.

There is no grab and throw in this game. That’s been a staple of superhero comics, movies, and game since the beginning. In my opinion any gane without that can’t call itself a superhero game. Even Crackdown had this.

So that’s a bummer. I was looking forward to a Hulk like character. But it’s still good game as a squad shooter. Kinda boo on the no throwing things. No using lampposts as bats, no tossing cars, no grabbing weak foes and chucking them. Even the Saint’s Row games had that.

One of the trailers has Yeti (I think) kicking a car into other cars and triggering explosions… not sure if that’s actually possible in-game though because I haven’t tried it yet.

Ok, yeah first day out, right? This game is starting to get its hooks in me, that’s for sure.

How do I feel about this game after an hour? It is damn good!

I’ll let Hollywood take it from here…

20170816152847_1

I don’t want to post spoilers, but I took a mission to destroy something. It is, however, on a roof of a skyscraper. Ascent seems impossible. I tried jumping from a Futurama tube but too far away for any character. Is this one of those things I have to come back to with another character?

If you are familiar, perhaps spoiler tags? Just don’t want to give up too soon.

Scan near the base of the building, you’ll probably find some green, upwards-pointing arrows, indicating a device that will help you ascend in one way or another. (This is in general, you’ll find those around most buildings) Alternatively access will be from the roof of a nearby building, scan for the same markers.

I’ve only done the first mission, but I think Fortune either does more damage to stunned victims or maybe it’s just her super that does?

It is not. There are no changes to jumping height. The grab/crawl ability I think gives characters a bit of extra vertical distance, just as the air dash gives a bit of extra horizontal distances. But jumping is fixed in this game and the world is built accordingly. Agents of Mayhem wants you to explore, not spazz out on a jump button or come back when you’ve put more points in your jumping skill.

-Tom

There’s a LOT more where that came from. On any meaningful difficulty level, Agents of Mayhem is about setting up debuffs and then cashing in on them.

-Tom

How have we played games with just 1 character? I really enjoy the swapping mechanic.

I’ve fiddled around a bit; got Rama and have done a wreck room battle and a foot race, besides.

I like it. Characters are fine so far, I like the look of things, and I like the shootering. I’m on the fence about shield/health depletion feedback - I think it takes a bit more of a keen eye than I am use to especially with the all the movement and stuff going on, but I’m also getting use to it. Learning to keep an eye on the shield helps. Mostly.

I like the character switching stuff a lot, both in combat and for traversal. It’s kind of more fun than just having a bunch of weapons on one character.

Reading reviews of this reminds me of reading about Just Cause 3 or Shadow of Mordor or Mad Max. People have valid points about why they don’t like those games… but I still like those games. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Right, Fortune is the one I was using for stunning, but I thought there was another character that could take advantage of her stuns as well. Probably is, I just haven’t unlocked their ability or that character.

I figured that out early, but I have yet to really take advantage of it, mostly because of my character selection I think.

The audio is working for me while in the menus and during gameplay, but I’m getting complete silence during cutscenes and even the Deep Silver/Volition production logos. Can’t seem to turn up anything useful on Google, but does anyone have an idea what might be up?

Grrr 2 AoM threads, both deserve posts!

Hostage rescues are so much fun, and watching them bounce away is just genius design.

Try turning down the audio quality on your playback device. On the sound panel, go to properties, then the advanced tab, and from the dropdown menu for default format, go from CD quality to DVD quality. Does that do anything?

I was having issues getting sound to stream on Big Picture and that was the fix for me.

-Tom

That did the trick! Thanks Tom!

I can’t rescue hostages because I’m missing some gadget, I think? About six hours in.

I’m enjoying it, but for all intents this game is a miss. There is virtually zero chance it catches on like Saints Row.

I Really miss the customization options of SR, as well as the upgrade paths which were more interesting than reducing your reload speed by 3%. I wonder if not licensing any music was a design decision or a financial one?

Mostly, it’s just making me want to replay SR3 and 4. The characters and villains were far more interesting and the combat more fun.

Nope, it’s just a matter of “using” the hostage first. You’ll attach a purple shield to him, and then you can blow up the bomb. The shield grows into a bubble and the hostage floats away safely!

I lost a few hostages figuring that out. It’s basically a matter of taking out defenders without hitting the bomb.

-Tom