Agents of Shield - Joss Whedon, Marvel, and ABC

Yup. As suspected, Marvel’s Most Wanted did not get picked up.

Yeah, can’t say I’m disappointed. While I’ve loved Hunter and Bobbie in AoS, I never thought the concept was strong enough to sustain an independent show. We have enough spy shit floating around.

I want to actually thank Comcast for warning me in their show info that the latest AOS takes place after Civil War. That let me dvr it until I saw the movie Friday.

Quite the clever approach to the Daisy situation!

Yes, and it actually ties together all of the powers we’ve seen that particular Inhuman show. I thought the Civil War tie in was done fairly well, and they got into far more details of the Sokovia Accords than the movie itself. It makes it resemble the comic book Civil War far more closely, which I enjoyed

I saw it resembling the comic book in being confusing.

SPOILERS FOLLOWING for the Sokovia Accords in Civil War (nothing too specific about the rest of the plot).

Civil War made it sound like if you wanted to be an Avenger, you had to register/sign up and that the team would be subject to UN oversight. That was the pitch, you sign the accords to be an Avenger, or you retire. Then things got complicated when Wanda wouldn’t sign up, but there was also the question of her not being a US citizen.

But it’s still quite a leap from there to the idea that every inhuman or enhanced in the country would have to register, which seemed to be the implication of this most recent Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. General Mustache was obviously there to see exactly what Inhumans S.H.I.E.L.D. had in the field—a reasonable fit with the Sokovia Accords as explained in the movie, but in other conversations (I think between Skyle and Lincoln, or maybe Coulson mentioned it too?) they made it sound like every Inhuman in the country would have to register. Where’s that coming from?

I have no interest in dragging the political arguments from the Civil War thread over here, but you can’t ignore that if those were the stakes—mandatory government registration for all enhanced/Inhumans whether they’re private citizens or crime-fighting superheroes—that would have to change the way we look at Cap and Iron Man’s arguments.

So exactly like the comic book, the conflict seems to be over inconsistently written legislation. Disappointing.

Is it disappointing on the part of the writers? Or is it realistically disappointing? Legislation, even when written with the best intentions, is always open to interpretation of those who enforce it, or who adjudicate it. And that’s on a national level; the Sokovia Accords are more of an international treaty with even greater levels of cloudiness. Perhaps that’s what we see already happening with super-powered people in the MCU. In the US, at least, the Accords are being interpreted by the government as a mandate to register anyone with powers. Perhaps it’s different elsewhere.

Come to Canada, where you can live free, super powered folk! Well, we’ll very politely ask you to join Alpha Flight, but you can always refuse, I suppose.

Pretty damned decent finale! Managed to call a big chunk of the climax pretty early on, but the show still sold it well, and the hook for next season was certainly intriguing–particularly hearing a certain title dropped and seeing another acronym flash. All in all, I’ve absolutely loved this season of AoS, and could never have, in my wildest dreams, imagined it’d be so damned good based on where the show started out. Even coming to love the characters and portrayals of a couple of people I loathed early on.

Man, it’s gonna be a long summer. . .

Where are you finding these polite Canadians??

(Man, now I really want an Alpha Flight movie! Why can’t they do that now, eh?)

I loved the finale, but the DVR ate the last 20 seconds or so. Dr. Evil (I forget his name, I actually grew very fond of his character - the guy that inadvertently made the primitives) was popping open a bottle of bubbly and talking to an AI about how Fitz couldn’t make it… and that’s all I got. What happened?

Ending tag 2

He said that he wasn’t celebrating Fitz joining him, and that he thought that it was so sad that so many of Fitz’s comrades had died pointlessly in SHIELD’s mission of good. He said they maybe wouldn’t have to do so anymore. Pressing a button on his computer that began running the “LMD Program 1” (or similar), he told AIDA that actually, he was celebrating her birthday. Camera cut to an obscured glass chamber wherein a humanoid figure spins in the soft gold light. . . then cut to black.

Awesome, thanks!

…er, what does that reference, other than the name of the program (which I recall) - anything specific comic book fans would recognize?

Something from Squadron Supreme, apparently: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/how-agents-of-shields-squadron-supreme-easter-egg-could-change-the-marvel-cinematic-universe

Life Model Decoys

Well, I mean I picked up on the LMD’s of course, but it was the figure they revealed I didn’t get. Looking at Wholly’s link, that seems to be on the right track, but I don’t think it will be anything I’ve ever seen in the books, whatever it ends up being ultimately. Except the concept of LMD’s, naturally, which will hopefully be much more fun than I worry they will be (I’m thinking of the masks in Mission Impossible… III? Where pretty much everyone was wearing someone else’s face, surprise!)

Ghost Rider? Can’t say I was expecting that.

[quote]Vengeance comes to “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” this fall at 10 pm!

Gabriel Luna (“True Detective,” “Matador”) will roar into the lives of Agent Coulson and the team, as Robbie Reyes the unstoppable Ghost Rider, which was revealed today at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

“Season 4 will unquestionably be the series’ biggest, most ambitious story yet, and it all begins with the introduction of one of our greatest legacy characters in Ghost Rider,” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb. “When the Spirit of Vengeance rides into S.H.I.E.L.D., it’ll change everything.”[/quote]

Doesn’t sound like a great idea at first blush, but I’ll give it a chance.

An unfamiliar version of a character I’ve never cared about that seems like a weird fit for S.H.I.E.L.D.? What could go wrong?

Sad to hear this - Ghostrider is definitely a better fit for the Netflix shows.

isn’t Ghostrider more of horror/fantasy than sci-if? Everything I know about him I’ve learnt from Nicholas Cage, of course. Not sure how they would fit him within the rather sci-fi based Agents.

He’d be part of Dr Strange’s side of the MCU I would think, since he’s a servant of Mephisto.

He was a member of The Defenders, which is going to be a Netflix show. Plus he just fits better in a more adult, violent series.