Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Sure, but he just quoted @kubatsoftware from above, which wasn’t flagged.

Guess the mods are away for the weekend.

There seem to be a few reasons it was flagged as spam. The guy had never posted here before, he spent only a few minutes reading posts from one thread, and his post was comprised mostly of a link to his blog. I’m sure that it’s a marketing blog didn’t help. I don’t really mind if he posts, but I can understand why the system and other forum members might have flagged the posts.

-Tom

Explorminate got around to a review of this one, not surprisingly, least to me anyway, they liked it:

I keep meaning to try this again. I forget, which mode do you like to play? Isn’t there one where everyone starts off in the same conditions (like 1 city), and another where certain factions already start off big?

I forget, what are the differences between factions?

Seems like the Dev and Slitherine had a falling out (Are there any new updates in the works? :: Aggressors: Ancient Rome General Discussions) and a new game (with, sadly, a terrible name) is in development http://imperiumsgame.com/

e: Although that title does remind me of the great line from Stoppard

Chamberlain:
We belong to a sort of secret society, the Order of Chaeronea, like the Sacred Band of Thebes. Actually it’s more like a discussion group. We discuss what we should call ourselves. ‘Homosexuals’ has been suggested.

AEH:
Homosexuals?

Chamberlain:
We aren’t anything till there’s a word for it.

AEH:
Homosexuals? Who is responsible for this barbarity?

Chamberlain:
What’s wrong with it?

AEH:
It’s half Greek and half Latin!

Chamberlain:
That sounds about right.

If you’ve not played the main campaign, I’d suggest playing that first and starting as one of the major powers unless you of course want more of a challenge, in which case start as one of the smaller nations.

If don’t want to play historical, then you can as you were describing start custom world and tweak all the variables to your liking, there are a number of settings along the lines you saw in AOW3 random map set up.

Looks like the Greek game is set to release next week:

It’s out! Anyone taken the plunge!?

No but it is wishlisted. I never played the first one very much although my brief foray was somewhat positive.

It’s a strategy game that has MP, though, so it’s pretty much required that I buy it.

Radar: On

Raise telescope.

Oh, this looks fun.

Hmm, I wonder what that was about.

Usually money :).

So is this basically just Agressors with a Helenic skin? I have it wishlisted, but if the game play is the same as the previous title, I’m not going to bother.

Hmm, the few reviews and storefront blurbs seem to indicate more than just a reskinning of Aggressors. More like at least a 1.5 if not a 2.0 version. I may have to bite.

Can someone who bit specify what Imperiums brings to the table that Aggressors doesn’t? Having watched a few minutes of several let’s plays, I’m not seeing much of a difference.

I haven’t been following it closely, but there are a lot of design blog posts about Imperiums: Greek Wars on the Steam news feed.

Regarding differences from Agressors: Ancient Rome, here is a copy/paste of what the developer posted on the Imperiums: Greek Wars forum:

"There are many features which you don’t know from Ancient Rome. To name the most interesting:
Generals and heroes (whole new layer affecting military and state aspects of the game)
Common military campaigns - plan your conquest with other players directly on maps
Ancient myths (whole new layer of gameplay)
Quests for generals

Some others, which we also consider to substantially increase the fun for players:
Extended diplomacy - new treaties and diplomacy offers.
Sages - spreading knowledge around and within your country.
Many new buildings, improvements, state decisions and objectives.
New UI.
Players appearing during the game.
Territories.
Corruption mechanics.
New invention tree (locked technologies, conditions, acceleration of research).
Independent cities able to defend themselves.
New slavery mechanics

And on top of that, the game will have hot-seat, multiplayer, localization to several languages, new UI and terrain look.

The map is the most detailed map of Ancient Greece so far in strategy games, with 30 playable factions."

Thank you. Boughtened.

I look forward to your report :)

Just played the tutorial for about an hour. Unlike the first game it’s a separate scenario playing as Macedon.

The most significant difference, that I’ve seen so far, is the addition of Generals, who can buff nearby units, and some deeper diplomatic options, I understand there are some (optional) elements taken from Greek mythology, but haven’t gotten that far yet.

My one gripe is that the map hasn’t been cleaned up any. It’s still kind of muddy with individual elements sometimes tough to spot. Of course, I have bad eyesight, so ymmv.

No, that remained one of my main gripes with the Aggressors throughout the time I played. Really an odd thing not to fix.

In the write ups, generals looked like they might be fun, with more uses than in say, Civ. Any reaction to how they actually affect gameplay?