Ah! I've missed the darkness!

In a realization that seems to be becoming annual (I seem to remember having the same reaction last year), I realized that the darker seasons of the year are approaching the other day, and got really excited. While I love summer and the fact that we have about three hours of night now and then, I get this strange feeling of comfort when I go out at 8 pm or so and it’s already dark outside. Not as many people are out, everything becomes sort of fuzzy, the darkness gets everywhere. It feels like the lamps just light up the darkness so you can see it better.
I’ll probably get sick of it in February or so, but for the time being, it’s nice to have it back.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Just realized that I sound like some Vampire-LARPing twit. Sorry about that.

Also: I like the darkness because it’s so soft… not like sand, which gets everywhere.

Screw you, I’d not complain if we’dd have a never-setting sun all year round. There’s something that’s bloody depressing about a guy who actualy looks forward to the dark, dreary, cold and rainy season that awaits us. :(

It’s probably a fond memory of my “oooh I’m so sad and in love and the world is so horrible” from when I was 15 and took long nightly walks.

Since I’m spewing a bunch of crap in this thread anyway, I might as well mention that I accidentially took a walk to the University yesterday night. I was going to walk from the Park cinema at Östermalmstorg to S:t Eriksplan, but got sidetracked and went up to Tekniska (Royal Tech.), to check out that area, saw a path that went beside it, started following that and suddenly I was on a path in Kungliga Djurgården (Royal park area). Since it was dark I had some difficulty checking the map, but decided to go about halfway to Uni, then follow the highway back to the city. I took the wrong path in the forest however and ended seeing the familiar University buildings instead. Rather surprising, it was. Half an hour later I managed to get lost somewhere in Vasastan too. All in all, interesting walk.

Fall’s one of my favorite seasons, and I actually really love the dark nights as well. I’m a night person. I love the rain too, I’m an Oregonian. Actually, I’m one of those people who when each season arrives, I had forgotten how much I love each one!

I really dislike winter…I much prefer the long days of summer. Even though I stay up quite late typically, I still greatly appreciate warm, sunny days.

Another lover of the dark rainy season here. My favorite time of year. Probably has something to do with living in the Pacific Northwest for the last 25 years. Everyone around me gets depressed, and I feel strangely comforted by the dark, bleak days.

If you guys are getting Winter over there… it means one thing for us in Aus… SUMMER… 30 degrees celcius, sweat… cricket… I can’t wait till Winter comes back…

I have to say, I am with Anders on this one. I HATE the sun. If I were smart enough to be a Mad Scientist, I would attempt to put out the sun. Its an evil ball of superheated gas that I could personally do without. I also love dark, rainy days and nights. Maybe its from a lifetime of dealing with these damn Texas Summers, which last from March to November.

I once went camping in Alaska midsummer for a month or so. During that time, it never really got dark. I wasn’t particularly aware of ‘missing’ the dark while I was there, but when I finally re-encountered a truly dark night sky, I was amazed at how intensely comfortable it felt. Anders quote captures the feeling I had better than anything I could have come up with.

Tioday was the first day I noticed that it had gotten dark before 8 o’clock, and in Ireland, that means you are only a couple of weeks away from it getting dark at 3 or 4 and it raining 20 hours a day for the next six months. Which means no more working from hammock for me.

I once went camping in Alaska midsummer for a month or so. During that time, it never really got dark. I wasn’t particularly aware of ‘missing’ the dark while I was there, but when I finally re-encountered a truly dark night sky, I was amazed at how intensely comfortable it felt. Anders quote captures the feeling I had better than anything I could have come up with.[/quote]
I just wanted to quote Star Wars ep. 2 in as silly a way as possible.
Though I do think darkness is soft.

Just another reason why I’ll never want to see that movie…

“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything’s soft… and smooth…”
(I believe he’s touching her hair when he says the soft and smooth bit)

What a romantic.

Like you wouldn’t roll in a hayfield (I’m sorry, Plefoobian Narker Grass or whatever they’d call it) with Natalie Portman. That was the clincher, the literal romantic roll in the hayfield. When the hell was the last time anyone did that?

BDR

I know what you mean. We get no sun at all for some months every year, and that and fall is my favourite times of the year. I always love it when I’m walking home at five in the evening, and the northern lights are all over the sky.

I am a winter person. Love the short days, cool temps, and yes I am another dark lover.

As for summer I hate the hot humid baking days and spend most of my time in air-conditioned comfort.