Ahoy! It's the VR version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Title Ahoy! It's the VR version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When January 11, 2021

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage was a ride at the Walt Disney World theme park from 1971 through 1994. It was replaced with a Little Mermaid themed ride until 2004..

Read the full article

Holy crap, I may have found my VR killer app. Not even kidding.

I checked the Defunctland Youtube channel hoping for a Mission to Mars video, no joy.

I went on Mission to Mars once as a kid, almost no recollection of it whatsoever.

Where’s the Adventure through Inner Space one?!?

Hey, I was thinking of Inner Space too, is it really called that? Because then I went hang on, that’s a Dennis Quaid movie, that can’t be right.

Defunctland is working on a whole bunch of these VR recreations. The project was first announced in 2017, although I suspect real work only started more recently when a bunch of volunteers could get their hands on (relatively) cheap VR equipment.

Adventure Through Inner Space

The thing I remember most about Adventure Through Inner Space isn’t the ride, it’s the waiting area. You could see people getting into the ride chairs, and then being shrunk down and sent into the ride.

I’m sure the effect would have been cheeseball to an adult, but it was amazing to me as a kid.

This is really the only thing I remember about that ride. I was amazed at how people were shrinking at age 7.

Gullible child high five!

Is there any way to make sure that’s safe? I downloaded it but am a bit afraid to actually run the executable.

Analyze the .exe with an av?