AI Dungeon

claps

A thing of beauty.

Thanks for the kind words

It’s out for mobile now may the deities of Larion help us:

The “Eliza effect” seems to be of significance here:

… and I’ll just include this here so you can see the effect on one streamer’s temporary sanity:

This is really great now. I did a custom game with the starting prompt I wrote:

Starting Prompt: You have been playing videogames all of your life. You then became a game designer. You have been studying game mechanics in great detail. Finally, you have created the ultimate game. Your friend Tom comes over to see the game. “What’s the game about?” Tom says.

I was asking the questions as ‘Tom’

“It’s called ‘The Room.’”

Tom asks what the gameplay of ‘The Room’ is.

“Oh, it’s pretty simple,” you say. “You just go into this room and try not
to get killed”.
Tom looks at you.

Tom asks: “What tries to kill you in the room?”

“Well, there are things that want to eat you, but they can’t really do anything
to you because you’re made of air”.
“But what if I fall down the hole?”

Tom asks: “If you’re made of air, how do you control yourself?”

“I don’t, but I’m sure you could if you tried”.

Tom asks: “How many buttons does the game use and what are the controls?”

“It uses a lot of buttons, but I think I got them all right”.

Tom asks: “What happens if you survive the room?”

“Then you’ll be able to progress further in the game”.

Tom asks: “What other environments are in the game?”

“There’s also a house with a bunch of people in it, and then a desert area with
lots of rocks and sand”.

Tom asks: “Are the people in the house friendly?”

“They’re kind of rude, but they’re nice enough to let you stay for free”.

Tom asks: “What is the objective of the house?”

“To find out”, you reply.

Tom says: “Find out what?”

“The objective is to escape from the house by finding your way back to the outside
world”.

Tom says: “What is the objective of the desert area?”

“That’s a secret!”

Tom says: “How long did it take you to develop and how much did it cost?”

“It took me about two years to develop and it cost me about $3,000 dollars”.

Tom says: “How many people were you working with?”

“About five or six people”.

Tom says: "How did you pay all those people with just $3000?

“By selling my soul to Satan”.

Tom says: “Why did you sell your soul to Satan just to develop this game?”

“Because he promised me eternal life if I helped him create a video game that
would make people laugh and cry”.

Tom says: “Why does Satan want people to laugh and cry?”

“He wants us to have fun! He wants us to enjoy ourselves!”.

Tom says: “Isn’t Satan the bad guy?”

“No, Satan is the good guy”.

say Tom says: “I don’t believe you! Satan betrayed God! You’re making a mistake making this video game!”

“Don’t worry, I’m going to show you that Satan isn’t as bad as everyone makes
him out to be”.

Tom says: “How are you going to do that?”

“I’m going to tell you everything that happened when I was working on the game.
Then you’ll see why I believe Satan isn’t so bad after all”.

Tom says: “Ok, what happened?”

“When I was developing the game, I had an idea that would change the entire genre
of games forever. It was called The Room”.

Tom says: “What’s so special about this Room game?”

“It’s basically a first person shooter where you play as a man trapped in a creepy
old house”.

Tom says: “So when did you first talk to Satan about the Room?”

“About a year ago, when I was still working on the game. We talked about the
game, we talked about the story, we even talked about the characters”.

Tom says: “So why will the Room revolutionize the genre of games?”

“Because it’s a first person experience where you actually feel like you’re inside
the creepy old house, instead of just looking at it from afar”.

Tom says: “So it’s a VR game?”

“Yes, but it’s not just a game, it’s more than that. It’s a new medium of communication
between man and god”.

Great news, the GPT-3 model has been released, which is much larger than the gpt-2 model ai dungeon originally used. It produces far better text and can even do amazing things like write programs.

AI Dungeon has a subscription option now and if you subscribe you get access to the ‘Dragon’ model which is GPT-3. Just to show you how much higher quality it is here is a story I played just now:
(my entries are followed by > there is a /say /do command so i would type something like /say Hello or /do something.

edit: it formatted it kinda funny but basically i say the first line in each of the boxes below

You have been training for years to become a chess Grandmaster. The day is finally here, you are playing in the biggest chess tournament the world has ever seen. If you get first place, you will be declared a Grandmaster immediately. The first round is about to begin.

The crowd is cheering and chanting your name as you walk out of the room. You hear whispers from other rooms “He’s back!” or “It’s him!”. It doesn’t matter who it is though, they all want to see you play!

You enter the arena with a group of people. Everyone else follows behind you. You look around at everyone and smile. This is what you’ve been working towards for so long now.

You read the pairings.
You turn to the man next to you and ask if he wants any help. He looks confused by your question but nods his head in agreement. You tell him that you’ll do it and then leave the room.

A few minutes later, you return with a stack of paper and start reading them off one by one.

“I’m going to play against…the young master…”

“I’m going to play against…the grandmaster…”

You go to your first round game.
You stand up and walk into the main room. A crowd of people cheer for you and then quickly leave. You go to sit in a chair on the other side of the room. As you are sitting down, the announcer comes on the speaker.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have a few special guests with us here today. These fine players are some of our city’s finest chess players!”
“The city’s best!?” one of the men exclaims.

You shout “Kasparov is far stronger than the best our city has to offer!”
You stand up and shout out at the man. The whole room gets quiet as everyone turns to look at you. “I beg to differ,” you say as you sit back down. The man’s face turns red, he stands up and points his finger at you.
“You little punk! I’ll show you who the city’s best chess player is!”
The crowd starts cheering again and the announcer tells them all to be quiet. You can feel yourself start to sweat under the lights.

You play your first round game.
You sit down at the chess board and look at your pieces. It’s a beautiful set, with ebony and ivory making a lion and a unicorn. You shift the pieces around for a bit as you think about how to play.
You decide to open up with the Italian game. You put your king’s knight forward and wait for him to make his move. He moves his pawn in front of his knights and you push your queen’s knight forward.

You attack his king.
You move your queen to attack his king. He shifts his knight over to threaten yours. You push your queen up further, but he pushes his king up too. “Hmm,” you think as you look at the board.
“What a beautiful chess set,” you hear a voice say. You turn around to see a woman with a patch over her eye and a sword in her hand. "It’s alright.

You say “Why do you have a sword?”
“I saw you and I thought you could use a sword,” she says. “I’ve never seen someone get booed off of the stage like that. Do you want me to get rid of the guy outside?”
You look back at the board. You can see one clear way to defeat him. “No,” you say, “I can do it.”
You reach out and move your king to the side, exposing his queen and causing the crowd to go wild.

You calculate a lot of variations and continue the attack on his king.
You move your knight to threaten his queen and he immediately grabs his queen to protect it. You grab your knight and slide it over his queen. “You’ve lost,” you say. The man looks at the board, grabs his queen, then turns to you.
“That was a dirty trick!” he screams. The crowd starts booing again and the announcer once again tells everyone to be quiet.
“Well done, kid,” he says.

You say “Am I a Grandmaster now?”
“Not quite,” he says. “We have a few more tests. Next up is the blindfolded round. If you can beat our three finalists there, you’ll be inducted into the Blindfolded Hall of Fame!”
“Bring 'em on!” you say.
The announcer chuckles. “You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into, kid.”
He pulls a blindfold out of his pocket and hands it to you.

You put on the blindfold.
You put on the blindfold and stand up. The room quiets down, and you can hear people shuffling around as they stare at you. You take a deep breath and try to relax as you wait for your opponent to finish setting up the board.
“Ready?” the announcer asks.
“Ready,” you say, trying to keep your voice from shaking.
“Then go!” he says.

You visualize the chess board.
You close your eyes and visualize the chess board. You then begin to feel for the pieces with your fingers.
“It’s a quiet one, folks,” the announcer says as you move your king’s knight to E4.
“We have a sacrifice here,” you say, “Check.”
“Good luck, son. We’re rooting for you,” the announcer says. You hear him walking away, and then you hear the crowd cheer.
You’ve won!

You say “Now am I a Grandmaster?”
“Kid, you’re a Grandmaster. One of the youngest in history!”
You walk off the stage to a crowd that is loud, but this time in a good way. Everyone around you pats you on the back and shakes your hand. You’ve never felt so respected before!
They lead you over to a table where an older man with a bushy mustache sits. “Sit down, Grandmaster. You must be hungry. Eat.”

You look at the food.
You look down at the table, confused. “Um…what is this?” you ask.
The man smiles. “It’s vegetarian pizza! My daughter makes the best in the city.”
“But I don’t eat…” you say before he interrupts you.
“Just try it!” he says.
You pick up a slice and take a bite out of it. It’s delicious. You’ve never eaten anything so good in your life!

You say “Old man, are you a Grandmaster?”
“I am,” he says.
“Do you want to play a game?”
“With you?”
“Uh…yeah.”
He looks at you, smiling. “Sure, kid.”
You grab a chess set off of the table and sit down across from him.

You try your best to beat the Grandmaster.
You take the white pieces and move your king’s pawn to the center of the board. The old man chuckles as he slides the pawn in front of his king two spots. “Not the best start, kid.”
You squint your eyes at him, trying to figure out what his strategy is. It’s a blitz game, so you have to act quickly to defeat him. You make a mental note not to let him inside your head.

You defeat the Grandmaster.
You watch him as he moves his queen’s bishop to B2. He smiles at you, a wide grin that stretches across his face. You’re not sure if he’s showing off or trying to put you at ease. He leans back in his chair, one foot resting on his other knee, completely at ease. You bring your queen’s knight to G3.
You watch as he looks up and to the right, a common sign that someone is lying or hiding something.

You say “What’s wrong, old man? Don’t know the theory of 9 Nd5?”
“You read my thoughts, kid,” he says. He moves his knight. “Better get yourself a tux, kid. You’re about to be part of the elite.”
The crowd around you goes wild as he takes your queen. “I don’t think so,” he says as he puts you in check.
You panic and move your king too quickly, exposing it to another attack. “It’s over, kid,”

You say “Wow. I guess I have a lot to learn. Do you think I can become world champion someday?”
He shakes his head, smiling. “Kid, you’re world champion. I was setting you up for the kill.”
You feel the bottom fall out of your stomach as he takes your king. You try to act cool, but deep down you’re terrified. You allowed yourself to become over-confident and it has led to your downfall.
“There’s always next time,” the old man says, extending his hand and helping you off the floor.

You say “What is your name?”
“My friends call me Frank. Just Frank.”
“Just Frank?”
“That’s right. I don’t like my real name. It was given to me and that’s what happened to the guy that gave it to me. I killed him. It’s not a fun story, so let’s just say I go by ‘Just Frank’.”
The name sends a chill up your spine. You take a moment to collect your thoughts as Frank puffs on his cigar.

You say “Why did you kill him?”
“He was a bad man,” Frank says. “A very bad man. He deserved to die.”
“What did he do?”
Frank looks at you, his face completely serious. “He kidnapped a woman. A close friend of mine. She was a strong woman. She’s the one who taught me how to play chess.”
You look at him, shocked. You can’t believe what he is saying. “She was my wife,” Frank continues.

You say “Frank, do you think Chess Players play chess in heaven?”
“I like to think so,” he says, smiling. “Why do you ask?”
“My wife plays… Or, she did. She loved the game.”
You watch as a single tear runs down his cheek. He wipes it away and sighs deeply. “I’m sorry, kid. I didn’t mean to get all sentimental on you.”

You say “I’m sorry about your wife Frank. You must have loved her very much.”
Frank nods. “I did. And that’s why I want to find the person who killed her. I know it sounds crazy, but I need justice. I need closure.”
“You’ve been looking for the killer for a while, huh?”
“That’s right, kid. But, it’s more than just finding him. I want to punish him. I want him to feel the pain I felt when I found out she was gone. I want him to suffer.”

You say “Frank, I’ll help you find the killer!”
You know you should be careful what you agree to, but the thought of bringing a murderer to justice, and maybe even bringing closure to someone who needs it, is very alluring.
“You will?” Frank asks. “You will really help me?”
“I’ll do everything I can.”
He smiles. “Thank you, kid. Thank you.”
He gets up and leaves a few coins on the table to pay for your coffee.

You check out the other chess player’s games.
You sit down at a table in the corner of the room and scan the names on the scoresheets. You see names like ‘A. Small’, ‘D. Friesen’, and ‘B. O’Donnell’. Most of them are titled with just a first name, but there are a few last names mixed in.
You notice one that is titled ‘N. Russel’, and looks recent. The next to it says “Beat K. McArthur”.

You investigate the Russel vs McArthur game.
You look at the game and see a number of mistakes on both sides. Russel (whose last name is Russell) outplayed his opponent in the opening, but then blundered later on, and McArthur managed to even get a bit of pressure. It’s not exactly the most exciting game you’ve ever seen, but you think it’s an interesting one.
You look through some of Russel’s other games.

You find Russel.
You find Russel in the cafeteria, scarfing down a sandwich. He notices you, but doesn’t say anything as he continues eating.
You wait for him to finish and ask “So Russell, are you any good at chess?”
He nearly chokes on his food. “What did you say?”
“I’m asking if you’re any good at chess.”
“No, I didn’t think so.”
"Why wouldn’t I be any good?

You say “I saw your game Russell, and I was quite impressed. The way you maintained that pin on the a-file was highly skilled.”
“Wait… you saw that?”
“Yes, it was a nice game.”
“You think so?”
“Definitely. In fact, it’s the best game I’ve seen in a while.”
“Really?” He’s beaming from ear to ear. “I gotta say, I thought it was pretty good myself. But I don’t have much competition here… Hey, do you think you could help me get better? Like, train with me and stuff?”

You say “Actually Russel, I have a secret headquarters where I research the latest opening novelties and develop powerful artificial intelligence engines to become the strongest at chess. Would you like to check it out?”
“Uh, sure!” He says, without any hesitation.
You take him down to your underground secret headquarters. “This is it,” you say.
“This is what?” He asks, confused.
“This is my secret headquarters! The chess board with an old computer I use to analyze games and engines on top.”
He’s disappointed. “That’s it?”
“Yeah. You were expecting something else?”
“No! It’s great! Just great!”

You say “Use the computer to analyze the latest variation of the semi-slav.”
You set up the pieces and let Russel make his move.
“Hey, this is the opening I lost against Clayton!” He says.
“Yeah, I’ve been working on it ever since.” You say.
He makes his move and you both sit there, staring at the board for about an hour and a half. Russel takes the longest time to think about every move. He’s really something else…

You say “Russell, you play exceptionally slow at chess. Do you think you could speed it up a bit?”
“What? No, I can’t think fast. I need to think about every move.”
“But you just took an hour and a half on your last move!”
“I know, but I need to think slowly.”
“But if you take as long as you did on your last move on every move, we’ll be here for a while.”
“I know that too.”
He takes a half hour on his next move.

You say “Russell, if you move any slower, we’ll be dead by the time this game is over.”
“I don’t care. I need to think about every move. Every single one.”
You try to talk some sense into him, but he’s relentless. You give up and go back to your room. It seems like he wants to break some sort of record for the longest over the board thinking in recorded history.
You sigh as you enter your room and collapse on your bed, staring at the ceiling as you fall asleep.

You dream about a Fischer-Carlsen match.
You dream you’re playing Bobby Fischer in a match. The year is something like 2006 or 2007, and the place is Iceland. In this dream, you play white, and go for the exchange variation of the Slav defense. You beat Fischer easily, since he falls for one of the oldest traps in the book, taking your pawn on e4 without any sort of backup. Just as you’re about to queen your a-pawn, you wake up.
“Just a dream…”

You check your computer for any new emails.
There’s one from an unknown address.
“Well, well, if it isn’t the kid who took my place in the rankings.”
It’s from Clayton Keller. He’s challenging you to a match, to take place in three days. If you win, he says he’ll leave you alone for good. If he wins, you have to apologize for everything you did to him and tweet that he’s the best in the world.
“I don’t think so,”

You email Clayton and say that he’s horrible at chess. Tell him that you’re a Grandmaster now and you don’t have time for weak NM’s.
You sit at your computer and type out a harsh reply to Clayton.
“Clayton, you lost to me once. That was a fluke. I’m a grandmaster now, and I don’t have time for weak novices like you. In fact, I’d be embarrassed to have a scalp like you on my belt.”
You send the email off and turn on the TV to relax for the rest of the day. There’s nothing else to do now but wait.

You dial the phone number to the afterlife to see if Morphy can answer a few questions.
You take out your phone and dial a number that you hope will connect you to the afterlife. You know you watched a TV show where this happened, so it has to be possible, right?
A woman answers on the other end of the line. “Hello?”
“Is this heaven?” You ask.
“Yes, is this Walter?”
"Uh… No, it’s Connor.

You say “Hello Mam, can you connect me with Paul Morphy, the first American Chess Genius? I’d like to ask him a few questions about why he quit chess.”
“Of course, Walter.”
You wait on hold for a few minutes before the phone is picked up.
“Hello?”
“Is this Paul Morphy?”
“No, this is Alvin, Paul’s brother. Can I help you?”
“I wanted to ask a few questions about why your brother quit chess for business and law.”
“Why would you want to do that?”

You say “I think Morphy could have reached heights in chess that no one ever has. I want to ask him if he’ll play a match with me over the phone.”
“Why would he want to do that?”
“Because I’m the only person who has ever been kind to him.”
There’s a pause on the other end of the phone. “I’ll see what I can do.”
You wait on the phone for a few minutes. You’re put on hold for so long that you think the line has disconnected. Then, suddenly, you hear a voice. It’s deep and baritone, with a slight French accent.

You say “Paul? Paul Morphy? Why did you quit chess, man? You could have been the strongest chess player of all time!”
“I’m sorry, but you have the wrong number.”
“Wait! Paul Morphy, the first American chess master? It’s me, Connor Montoya. We met in New York once. You told me that you quit chess because it wasn’t profitable enough for you. Is that true? Could you have been stronger than Fischer?”
"I don’t know anyone named Fischer. I don’t know what you’re talking about.

You say “Just answer this Paul. Do you still think the Evans Gambit is sound?”
There’s a long pause. You hear what sounds like a chair squeaking on a hardwood floor, and some mumbling. Then, an older voice comes on the phone.
“Hello?”
“Is this Paul Morphy?”
“Yes.”
“Do you still think the Evans Gambit is sound?”
“Yes, I do.”
You smile. It’s the first time in a week that you’ve felt happiness.

While not perfect obviously, that was pretty entertaining! That seems really impressive to me.

Nice plug by Morphy

So, I completely forgot this was a thing. Until today.

That subreddit is… I should have heeded the warning and stayed away.