AI in solitaire/co-op boardgames: How should it work?

Yes. This is the first purely solitaire game I’ve played, so I don’t have experience with anything else, but that seems like it should be the goal of an AI-bot. At first I didn’t think that the “you choose” situations would come up that often, but in the last battle I played they came up quite often.

It would be pretty easy to expand the AI rules to cover these situations. “If you have multiple targets with equal to-hit percentages and equal defense, fire at the one with the highest OP cost.” That would clear up almost all the targeting ambiguity and get the Germans (for the most part) to act in their best interest. The ambiguous movement situations could be cleared up in a similar way, as “adjacent cover” movement AI could be mandated toward the best Allied target when the German battalion is at full strength and away from Allied units if the battalion is at half strength.

Yes, agree with this, and at the same time I was curious what the designer’s intention was. I wondered how they played it.

I think I’ll tweak the rules a bit to cover the “you choose” situations and get the Germans to act in their own interests.

Ambiguity and heavy luck elements aside, I’m enjoying the narrative the game creates.