AI War 2

As an Arcen forum lurker, it seems to me that this iteration will be easier to get into. Control happens at the fleet level, for example, which should simplify things.

This version is much easier to get into…my main problem is every time I load it up I lose five hours and the AI stomps my homeworld. Very fun and I keep going back for more.

Sorry, I meant to clarify this earlier. I was referring to what he said in the latest (at the time) game update/patch on Steam, not a Kickstarter update. This was the comment I was referring to:

An AAR of a game posted to the kickstarter by Chris:

Long update detailing about everything you could want to know about where both AI War 2 and Arcen Games is.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii-0/posts/2657182?ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users

An overview of how the design has evolved:

Only singleplayer at the moment. MP planned to be done by q1 or q2 2020. Just a heads up for anyone interested in it for that.

Release version is now live!

Going through the tutorial for this, it feels very similar to AI War, and that is a compliment.

Is it the AI War for those who couldn’t get into the first AI War? I never got much past the tutorial - kinda got overwhelmed.

Reviews on Steam say “Yes”.

I will likely buy this today, I’m a sucker for a small developer with a strong product.

I wonder why I didn’t get the coupon for AI war owners.

I can send you mine, I was a Kickstarter backer so already have it. Ping me when you’re around on Steam.

Ok thanks!

Interesting. Why is he giving coupons to people who own the first AI War? For a company that’s always on the edge of staying solvent, seems a dumb move to discount all the people most likely to buy it.

I love Arcen dearly but they’ve never been what you’re call “great” at the business end of things. I think they’re hoping to convert wishlistings into sales in the short, rather than long, term. I hope it works out for them.

I’m not logged into Steam but I see it as 40% off ($11.99 instead of $19.99). How much are they selling it with the coupon?!

I could see a discount if this was a fast turnaround from AI War or if it were a “relaunch” type of scenario, but AI War released 10 and a half years ago.

Possibly so they can get a bunch of quick sales and put it up on the trending charts, get it in front of more eyes.

The coupon discounts an additional 25%.

I thought the same during the tutorial. But the actual game felt much different.

It is hugely streamlined compared to the original. Fleets build themselves and transport themselves. Planets research themselves. The galactic map scouts itself.

So there is more emphasis on picking targets for your fleets and building defenses. The former is good, but the latter is weirdly lacking. There seems to be fewer turrets to choose from and fewer defensive options in general.

Because I own AI War, I got the default 40% off + the 25% off coupon, so it came out to $8.99 for me. This priced stupidly low. Arcen might have considered pricing it like Factorio or Rimworld, price it super high and never discount it, ever. Make the game seem prestigious without coming off like a glorified mobile port.

I don’t know shit about marketing though, but it comes off as super strange for a game to have a 40% sale the day it’s released.

Maybe they need the cash influx asap?