AI War 2

Picked it up to support Chris even though I have not played the game in a while.

Wonderful post by Chris about the journey:

Happy to read that there is a future for Arcen Games and that he is already working on the next thing.

Chris always comes off as one of the most likeable, relatable, and passionate game developers out there. I wish him great success on his next project.

I think I’ll devote May to learning this game properly.

I feel like Chris should be posting here, based on my opinion of his writing and video(s).

He did for a while.

Yes, he posted in the original AI war thread.

I keep saying this every time this thread gets busy. I have started AI War 2 probably a dozen times and never moved beyond the tutorials.

Slightly off-topic, but Arcen has joined up with a publisher and is working on a new game with “strategic elements”.

The positive news is that the partnership seems to have allowed them to expand the studio to include a number of fulltime staff.

I hadn’t heard of Hooded Horse until now, but looking up their list of games I see OId World and Against the Storm, so at least they’re in good company.

That’s quite cool indeed. Look forward to seeing what Chris gets up to with this new project.

They’re really fantastic, and are building a wonderful…stable…of games.

I was poking around the Steam page and AIW2 allows co-op play (LAN or online)? Anyone ever try this?

Yeah, it’s pretty damn fun. They had all kinds of issues after the last DLC launched with MP and spent months hashing through updates to fix it. It’s solid now and if you at all enjoyed AI War 2 playing with another human against the AI is something this game design simply begs you to do as if it was the core design idea from the outset.

You show up on the map with one planet and so does your human ally. Of course it has all of the same campaign options available which frankly are so numerous as to be daunting so don’t over think that, just jump in with another human and have at it.

It’s a fun co-op game. We enjoyed figuring out how we were each going to specialize our research/fleets to compliment each other and take on different roles. Maybe one player runs a stealth fleet and the other focuses on turrets and establishing beachheads, that sort of thing.

Now I finally need to learn and play the game :-D

Steam summer has this listed for 75% off, which is quite the deal for this rather brilliant little game:

Are there any must-have DLCs? Just wondering if the base game is sufficient or splurge on the bundle.

You can definitely get all the enjoyment to be had out of this one with just the base game.

The DLCs are additional variations on game play but not needed because the base game already has more variations in it than you’ll likely ever play.

I second that. I’ve bought all the DLCs and I never play!