AI War: Fleet Command

Right, yeah - anti CC stuff. Flak turrets, Light Starships, and Fighters. Have at them!

Ah, flak turrets. I guess I should look at the description for these new units instead of ignoring them. I’m still catching up on things I never knew from the original game.

I can’t resist mapping out the galaxy early on either. Maybe the experts don’t need to spend any research on scouting, but it’s fun to pore over the map and plan a strategy.

What kind of difficulty and AI types are you playing against?

Two easier Difficulty 7 AIs, I think. Maybe 1 easier and 1 normal. Haven’t worked out what they are yet, though. After getting my arse handed to me 3 games in a row I dialled it down a little bit :)

It’s a hell of a lot easier to work out what to use now. The Reference in particular is excellent, giving likely outcomes for ship types in a 1v1 and stuff like that.

It has been a while since I played this, the last time I played this you could do things like raid a sector for knowledge and each sector only gave you 2000 research.

Anyway I recently started playing this and have gone back to the basic game (the zentih expansion added far to much weirdness for me as a newbie again it seems) and am having trouble securing sectors from attach.

In the past you could destroy the warp gates and as long as you had a single star connected to a hostile star with a warp-gate the attacks always came from one direction. This would free up your turrets and give you a front to concentrate your defenses.

Now I found out these AI Eyes also act as warp gates so I need to destroy them too. I also notice after I destroy both the warp-gates and the eye, the planet title becomes orange (hard to tell, is there a way to adjust the color?).

So now I have several worlds bordered by orange warp gates and a few worlds bordered by red warp gates. The problem is that my supposedly ‘safe’ worlds are constantly being hasseled. One even got hit by 300 ships once.

What do I need to do to stop the AI from attacking those worlds? There are about 5 worthless planets and I do not want to take them out just to secure some area.

“It depends”. Do you mean you’re getting waves (as shown in the top left) or just random ships coming through? It could be any number of things…

Random ships are attacking those sectors. Sometimes a lot of ships are.

If you destroy a planet’s command station, all the units stationed there will attack the nearest planets. You starting some shit?

No. I am doing NOTHING there. I took out the eyes and the warp gates, I left the command stations cause the systems are worthless and these out of the way planets of mine get attacked. The raiders do not even seem to come out of wormholes. They just appear sometimes.

It could be the AI type. Have you been killing guard stations? Are there special ops guard posts nearby? You can get fairly hefty patrols moving between those and if your planet is in the way…

Not in those sectors I neutralized. Will it say there is something special about the guard posts or will they look normal?

Special Ops ones will be labelled that way. However, if there’s a constant stream of ships, it could be that there’s posts further away either side of your planet(s) that are giving a patrol route through your space. It’s worth scouting to see where the nearest ones are, and maybe raiding to destroy them.

Just remember that when you raid, they will chase you back…

Just to confirm they are AI ships and not Enclave or Rogue ones?

I also had one announced raid just appear at the edge of my system without coming through a wormhole. Is this some sort of special AI type or a bug? :)

I don’t know all the new AI types yet. Same question for you - were they AI ships?

I’m pretty sure that they were, and it was announced beforehand like all regular raids by the AI.

In my current game I did see an AI unit that could teleport units into any human system, but I believe it was only when that unit was destroyed. Still, they have the technology.

shang: Interesting. I don’t know the full mechanics well enough to suggest if it might be a bug or a feature. Maybe try asking on their forums? I’d be interested to know the answer myself.

DeepT: Did you kill all the warp gates surrounding your planets that are getting attacked? Doing so is counter-productive and could lead to the situation you’re seeing.

I have one planet in my current game that is getting harrassed by 30-50 ships at a time. It’s not an announced raid. I’ll have to see if it is special forces units moving back and forth. It borders 2 planets that I don’t occupy (one of them is completely empty).

I also destroyed an alarm post a few hours earlier. That bumped my threat up to almost 200, but they’ve only been trickling in here and there. I didn’t check to see if it relates to the harrassment I’m seeing.

Some of the new AI Guard posts are called “Counter Wave” or something like that. Basically when they die, they send a wave to one of your planets (not sure the selection algorithm) which don’t appear from a wormhole. Instead they are warped in from deep space or something, and appear far off the planet radius, but slowly make their way to your structures causing havoc.

You’ll know the counter-wave if you see it, especially if you’ve killed it at a high level planet. Ouch.

And now very late in my campaign, the AI seems to have its threat constantly at around 200. It makes regular raids of 40-50 ships into 3 of my border planets. AI Progress is around 350.

I’m rolling through planets on the other side of the galaxy. I wonder if something is making the AI upset and it is sending general threat counterattacks that can come from anywhere instead of just the planet I wiped out.

Maybe this is what DeepT is running into.

I also got a counter wave of Mark IV ships tonight. Less than a minute to prepare! What a pain.