Air France: Two Ass Minimum

The money quote:

Adele Price, 42, who was born with birth defects caused by the leprosy treatment drug thalidomide, said at a news conference the employee told her that “one head, one bottom and one torso cannot and will not be allowed to fly on Air France” without help.

Presumably, a set of limbless siamese twins would be exempt from this regulation.

Breaking News: the French are assholes.

In other news, Pope Catholic, bear shits in woods.

I get so tired of reading shit like this on these boards.

This just in: Americans are naive and arrogant. More at 11.

DeanCo–

Well yeah. But its not an American firm that’s denying passage of a limbless woman.

True. American companies have never done anything untoward.

Just to disassociate myself from the anti-Frog contingent on QT3, I posted it because I thought it was funny, not because I want to put all of those guturally sneering snail humpers in G.I. Joe sponsored concentration camps or anything. I actually love the French - I’m still aiming to move to Paris in a year.

J’espère que oui, Médecin Mausolée. Il serait trop mauvais si vous deviez avoir un malheur malheureuse arrivez sur vous-même ou votre famille. J’ai entendu que les gendarmes est très surchargée, et c’est possible qu’ils ne découvrir jamais exactement qui a jeté un béret de plomb à la tête de quelqu’un.

I love machine translation:

Adele Price, 42, who was born with birth defects caused by the leprosy treatment drug thalidomide, said at a news conference the employee told her that “one head, one bottom and one torso cannot and will not be allowed to fly on Air France” without help. Price said she paid someone to fly with her and eventually completed the trip.

I don’t see why this makes the airline assholes. If this lady will sue for that, she’ll also sue if an attendent drops her while moving her to the lavatory or whatever other demands she would make during the flight. I can see that quote (if it’s true) coming sometime at the end of a long conversation where all of that was explained to her. She doesn’t have the ability to move herself, it sounds like. Also, the quote is mostly nullified by the fact that she flew without incident as long as someone came along with her to assist her, which was the real problem. What the fuck, what are they supposed to do, hire medical personnal to to fly onboard?

Somehow I don’t think she’d have been delighted if they said “Okay, you can buy a ticket. Good luck getting on the plane, sluggo. We board in five minutes, BETTER ROLL FAST!”

Yeah, I don’t see the problem with the airline here. As people have pointed out, they aren’t barring her from getting on the plane. They insist on helping you because we’re such a lawsuit-happy country. So now they get sued for trying to avoid lawsuits… Hooray Beer!!!

As for the French being assholes, I have real problems with that. I don’t think it was right for them to tip their hand and state that they would, under no circumstances, support a war in Iraq, but newsflash, their motivations were right. There I said it, the French were right not to support a war in Iraq.

So are they assholes because they actually stood up to the American government acting like assholes? Let’s at least be honest with ourselves.

The implication from the story is not that Air France insisted on helping her, but that Air France insisted she have a person of her own, with a second paid ticket, help her. Although we can at least agree on Horray Beer. !!!.

Ah, I have to admit, I only quickly skimmed the article, so I missed that implication (even if it was fairly obvious). That makes the question a little murkier. I don’t think Air France’s position is indefensible though. We’re still a sue-happy nation and I feel that Air France should be allowed to err on the side of avoiding litigation.

But yes, Hooray Beer!! (brilliant slogan)