Airplane pr0n

LOL that Vulcan was like “NOPE”

I can just see the gas gauge dropping like a rock as they’re doing that.

The East Coast fighter squadrons are being evacuated to the old bomber base south of Columbus in advance of the oncoming hurricane today. Its pretty neat seeing the flights of F-22’s cycling in. I haven’t gotten any pictures or videos, but if I see any posted, I’ll be sure to share them here.

Stealth planes, anybody?
B-2 Spirit
220px-USAF_B-2_Spirit

You should post a picture.

Ill post my pictures from the Portland air show last weekend

I know it’s covered in other threads, but this is one more place to mourn the passing of Paul Allen. He was the founder of the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum, which has a particular focus on historical authenticity.

https://flyingheritage.org/

That is an awesome collection! What I wouldn’t give to see an Il-2M3 in the flesh, let alone flying!

What a glorious machine.

You spelt ‘deathtrap’ wrong.

Only for the tail gunner who were expendable anyways :P

So pretty.

You could probably accidentally blow up a dozen of these and still not incur the same cost as one F35.

What is it? Google Image Search fails.

It’s a Su-57. Formerly known as T-50. The new hot jet from the Motherland intended to go up against the F-22, F-35 and all the older stuff.

They have built about 8 or 9 so far and have a hard time funding full rate production. It’s a seriously hot jet with some very interesting systems, such as chin-mounted sidelooking radar arrays and dielectric panels all along the wing leading edges.

In about ten years it should be a serious contender.

Now here’s another interesting new(ish) thing, not as good looking as the Su-57 but still:

I’m always amazed at the longevity of these airplanes. I think it’s because I’ve become used to the one year technology cycle of much of our household products. I was reading Wikipedia about one US plane (can’t remember the name now) which came into production in the early 60’s and is still in regular service. Could you imagine if we were all still driving around in cars from 1962?

That’s gotta be the B-52.

And cars from 1962… that’s gotta be Cuba. :)

I think part of the reason for that is the cost and complexity of development is high. You’d think some of those could be standardized and streamlined over time like other project management and manufacturing tech, but read any story about government contracts and its pretty obvious that efficiency isn’t one of the project goals.

B-52 has been around since the 50’s.

Actually, it was the Boeing RC 135