Airplane pr0n

The B-36 at the Air Force museum in Dayton is a really impressive display:

I saw the plane when it was originally displayed outdoors. It was winter and it was kind of sad looking with the plane partially covered in snow. When the constructed the building to accommodate it, they built three walls, rolled the plane in, then built the fourth wall.

I grew up wanting to fly one of these:

https://goo.gl/images/LEPNbq

Lots of great innovations like the side-mounted stick, the angle of incline on the seat, where it rests on the energy-maneuverability curve…

Well, @Starflightdream, you certainly are in luck if you want to fly the Viper in a sim LOL

And for the Peacekeeper, hoo boy they don’t get any phallic than that. They say sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but sometimes it’s LeMay’s cock, too.

And if he’d had his way, he’d had not only fucked mother Russia, but all fo earth with it lol.

Here’s some poor marine fumbling his balls blue.

Have we done the Twin Mustang yet?

This article was really cool:

I’ll see your Twin Mustang and raise you a He-111Z:

There is an event in Hearts of Iron IV about Amelia Earhart. Here is Lady Lindy climbing into the cockpit of Lockheed Model 10

I always thought it was a cool aircraft very much ahead of it’s time. My grandfather was an engineer on it, including one that Amelia flew (not the one that she died in). The Electra was also the first aircraft famed designer Kelly Johnson (P-38, U2, SR-71) worked on.

Kelly Johnson brings to mind the most beautiful airliner ever made and the first airplane I flew in, the Constellation:

Ah the connie, such a beautiful machine.

Connies really are beautiful aircraft. My grandfather worked on them also. I didn’t know until I checked on Wikipedia that Kelly was responsible for the design. The guy was part artist.

Wow, how old are you, dude? I mean, for myself, having been born in 1961 in Guatemala I suppose there’s a chance that I flew in a prop-driven airliner as a baby, but my earliest memories of flying as a child are of jetliners.
How long were those in service?

What’s the theory-craft behind having 3 vertical tails?

What is the intended use of this plane? Maybe to get a smaller spaceplane closer to low earth orbit?

The Roc—it is nicknamed after the huge bird from Greek mythology—will haul rocket payloads up into the sky before sending them on their way into space.

Basically haul something up really high and then have a rocket get it into orbit/space.

I’m a little older than you. As a little kid, I flew on an Eastern Airlines Super Connie the year you were born.

Far out (if that expression doesn’t date me, none will, heh). Do you remember if the prop engines were especially loud (I mean, it’s unlikely, given your age then, but…).

The only prop planes I’ve ever been in (that I remember) have been short-hop turboprop planes a couple of times, maybe between Portland and Seattle.

The props were deafening. But the engine start was so cool. One engine at a time whining, coughing, sputtering and then roaring to life until all four props were spinning. Part of the lost romance of aviation.