Al Franken running for senate?

What the hell?

This was in his last book.

His manner of speaking and interviewing absolutely does NOT work on the radio, but I could see him doing some sort of public service. I wonder how many voters will accept him as a candidate.

Chances are he’d run in Minnesota, and the state does have … “history” regarding who wins public office.

He’ll slaughter whoever the GOP puts up against him. He’s got that light touch thing going on when he wants it.

He’s a tad too Liberal to get any where IMO.

Better yet, he’s a smarmy and condescending liberal. One can only hope he makes it, so he can tell us all why we suck for six years.

You’ve got me and McCullough for that.

He’ll never win in MN; remember that the “history” another poster mentioned was Jesse Ventura, hardly a liberal, much less a flaming one at that.

Franken will do about as well in MN as he did on radio.

The problem with someone like Franken becoming a candidate is that he’s spent years years playing to his home team. If you want someone to cross over their usual party vote, you don’t do it by throwing a candidate at them that has called them morons and liars for years.

I think you’re confusing him with Ann Coulter.

I don’t think he’s ever called Republican voters liars, just morons. It’s their leaders who are the liars.

He wrote a book called Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell them, yes. But it pretty much focuses on politician’s and pundits. He only spent a chapter on Coulter, and the tone was almost apologetic for going after such an easy target. The best part was when he slammed Hannity’s book for what amounts to perjury in mathematics.

Obviously he’s liberal on some “social” issues such as abortion. Beyond that, Minnesota could do worse. I mean, whens the last time the state voted Republican for Presidential elections? And now more then ever that party is vulnerable. So, he could win. And, frankly, I don’t see him any worse then the usual source of politicians (businesses).

He spends most of his time on the GOP media figures, with the elected officials as a side note. I can’t recall him talking about the actual voters much.

At the very least it should make for a debate that’s worth watching even if you’re not from his state.

Minnesota is a pretty liberal state overall, despite our Republican governor. And he’ll be going up against Norm Coleman, a loyal Bushie who only got elected because his opponent Paul Wellstone DIED.

It’ll be an interesting election, for sure. Minnesota loves locals like Franken, leans left, likes voting for non-traditional candidates, * and hates the Bush administration. My prediction is that Franken wins in a landslide.

*And I’m not just talking about Ventura. The Farmer-Labor party of Minnesota was the most successful political third party in our country’s history until it merged with the Democrats to form the DFL. We’ve had four third-party governors: Ventura and three from the F-L.

Will Franken easily get the Democratic nomination, or will he face serious opposition?

He’s a lock for the nomination.

Yeah, Paul Wellstone was pretty conservative.

Minnesota is about as pinko as it comes. The state did elect Mark “defending the nation against anthrax by fleeing the capitol” Dayton. It also seems to generally be in the bottom (or I guess top, depending how you look at it) 10 states in terms of tax burden on its citizens.

What wouldn’t go over is electing a nutjob conservative. Hell, even Norm Coleman used to be a Democrat, and he’s basically heading back that way now that the war didn’t work out so well.