Alabama Senate special election thread of hot takes, bitter disappointment, and/or slightly possible exuberance.

C’mon Alabama, prove the world is wrong about you! You can do it!

Let’s do this Alabama!

I’ll predict Moore wins with 61%.

Jones: Half the votes, plus seven

I did my part. Fuck this shit regardless of the outcome. I’ll will come away discouraged and fed up with this state even if Jones wins. If it happens, I’ll try to enjoy it later.

In my unscientific, anecdotal polling, many conservatives have said they are writing in people. No one has admitted to voting for Moore, but many will. In and around Birmingham, the Jones signs far outnumber the Moore signs and that is in rich, conservative areas. I don’t put too much stock in that as we have a lot of outlying bubble communities that barely peek out to see what the civilized world does.

I’m pessimistic on this. I wish I wasn’t, but I am; the country let me down last year, and I have to say I doubt Alabama is going to be the State to change the trend. I think Moore wins with 54%.

But please, please prove me wrong.

So on All Things Considered this morning they had several interviews with people in Birmingham. One thing that struck me was the one with an African American barber shop owner. What struck me was this (paraphrased)

'What’s Jones going to do? What is he going to do for my community? He talks about what he did as prosecutor in the case against the KKK members who killed those four kids in the church bombing, but he has nothing else.

He came through here and he just acts scared. Walked through the barber shop and took no questions. Just afraid. He ain’t gonna do anything for us like that. I’m voting for Jones, but I don’t like him. Now Donald trump? I like that boy, he’d talk your ear off and ain’t afraid of nothing. I’m voting for Jones, but he won’t do nothing for us.’

That just… is this a messaging problem, is this a people not listening problem, or is Jones really not giving voice to the issues that impact people. Is this a Jones problem, or an Alabama one? Because this was as unenthusiastic a Jones voter as I’ve ever heard.

And it was a theme I heard in various forms in their interviews.

It is impossible to get a feel for anything here because people use so little logic and reason for making their arguments. I wouldn’t be surprised if these good Christian folk who told friends and family they couldn’t vote more will close their eyes and do it anyway because they don’t think it really means anything.

I’m sure there will be many patriots who, after refusing to cast a vote for Hillary Clinton last year because there were concerning but unproven allegations about her character, will also refuse to cast a vote for Roy Moore because of the concerning but unproven allegations about his character.

Jay kay. To stave off disappointment, I’m lowering my expectations through the floor and into the ground. Moore will win with 99% of the vote and vow to overturn those pesky sex offender laws in his victory speech.

His prosecution of the KKK had been repeated constantly in his ads until just recently where the ads expanded a bit. It began to grate on me. I get it, but what are you going to do now if you win!! The problem of taking the African American vote for granted for Democrats is as strong here as anywhere I imagine. Their messaging has been terrible and I have heard little to address specific African American community concerns in an appeal to that group who, if they came out, could help decide it for Jones. I think they did not put it as a priority and/or figure out how to do it until it was too late.

Exactly, this is Alabama we’re talking about. I would be absolutely shocked if Moore loses. I have doubts it’ll even be competitive.

But again, this is Alabama. Democrats should expect to lose here, and it shouldn’t be a cause to lose enthusiasm and energy for 2018.

Exactly. That this race is close is absurd.

A single-digit loss here shouldn’t be a source of pessimism for anyone.

We’re electing a literal pedophile to the Senate. That shouldn’t make us pessimistic?

We’re not. Alabama is.

My favorite social media comment on this special election so far : “The forecast for Election Day in Alabama favors Roy Moore as it’s going to be into the teens.” Brilliant.

I predict Moore with a just over double digits on the win. The endorsement from his Orangeness over the weekend will rally just enough of the “Can’t let the Libtards win!” crowd to be the difference. Alabama will literally hold it’s nose and elect a raving lunatic Evangelical misogynist pedophile who was twice kicked off the judicial bench as their Senate rep rather than elect a Democrat. America has reached peak absurdity.

And if anyone ever wonders why the Deep South has such an ill reputation… well, this is why.

I try not to judge people based on where there are from, but admit it is damn hard with Alabama or Mississippi. I see a person from Alabama, and don’t have a high opinion to start with of them. Unless they work for NASA, or I otherwise know them.

But Fox last night said this is all about abortion, so any true republican should vote for Moore simply based on that alone. Amazing that they would favor a pedophile based on a subject that the senator couldn’t influence if he wanted to.

That is literally the case. 40 year old allegations where the women were probably paid to come forward versus a dude who loves baby murder. Moore’s dereliction of duties as a judge does not matter at all because he had God on his side.

This has been by life the past few weeks. Even the reasonable Republicans who won’t vote for him are going to not vote or write someone in and they will still give me excuses for their friends and family members who are going to vote Moore anyway. See Also: FAKE NEWS.

Infuriating and it has put me, at times, in a deep state of despondency.