Alabama Senate special election thread of hot takes, bitter disappointment, and/or slightly possible exuberance.

That would be unconstitutional and will never happen. Not only would you eliminate many poor, but many college students (student loans), veterans who use GI Bill or VA, small business borrowers (using SBA loans), FHA borrowers, the elderly (Social Security and Medicare), etc.

Key takeaway:

Of course, Republicans won’t have Roy Moore running in other races. But they will have other candidates with characteristics similar to Moore (ignoring, for now, the sexual misconduct allegations). That is, they’ll have candidates who are nominated by the GOP base against the wishes of party elites and who prove to be disasters with swing voters. There could be more of them in 2018, especially with Steve Bannon targeting “establishment” Republicans in almost every Senate race. Republicans have had plenty of these over past election cycles, such as Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock in 2012 and Sharron Angle, Christine O’Donnell and Ken Buck in 2010. If not for these candidates, Republicans might have somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 Senate seats instead of being down to 51.

This is a function of the die-hard craziness of GOP Primary Voters fed on a constant diet of propaganda, lies and misinformation, especially in places like Alabama, where the worst of the worst tend to bubble up. It is nigh impossible for a moderate Republican to emerge from a GOP Primary in just about any state, not just the deep red ones.

It’s entirely possible that the Alabama GOP will put up another incredibly horrible candidate in the 2020 Senate election, which leaves a slight possibility that Jones could even hold this seat, if he keeps up the fantastic ground game.

Fox News, Rush and the misinformation, lies and propaganda machine. Remember the Obama quote:

“If I watch Fox News, I wouldn’t vote for me.”

And this:

obama-phone-foxnews

So a Republican a pedophile, and an insane dude are equally bad. I’m not sure I really believe that.

I’m sure equal 3rds is very “scientific” and precise, to like the 8th decimal place. twitch.

Can’t we just say they are all contributing factors, without assigning (probably incredibly poorly estimated) weights to them?

Finally someone else on this forum is talking sense. At least when misquoted. :-)

Well, I think that there’s a couple factors there. Not all % of voters are equally easy to lose and they way they split the numbers is based on the polls at the time. That scandal coming last seem to have taken away the more GOP faithful voters that hung through the other things. I would like to think if Trump/Congress/GOP had roughly neutral favorable ratings and it was the classic “generic” Republican candidate, he’d have lost a lot more than 10% if similar pedophile things came out. I am in a good optimistic mood today so I will claim it could be as much as 30%.

No, Moore lost 10 percent just because he was Republican in a climate that currently favors Democrats, ie those folks wouldn’t have voted for Strange either. Then, he lost another 10 percent because he was Moore, ie those folks might have voted for Strange but couldn’t stand Moore personally. Then, when the pedophilia became known, he lost another 10 percent.

That doesn’t mean that they are equally bad. In fact, most likely each is worse than the last because it is harder and harder to lose another 10 percent from the remaining die-hard supporters.

Bwahaha!

That’s a good point getting a switch from R to D or more realistically to stay home is harder with each group.

JOHN PODHORETZ who is not quite a never Trumper but close makes a similar case

One of the cumulative effects of last night and the results in VA and NJ is the ability of Democrats to recruit stronger candidates for 2018.

The far left is dumb.
https://twitter.com/notwokieleaks/status/941122144012046338

I mean if you’d just run the godless Communist, then turn the strong arm of voter suppression against anyone who wouldn’t want a godless Communist representing them, it’d be fine.

See, the problem with the far left is that they don’t go far enough!

There are dumb/crazy people on all parts of the political spectrum that we could call out if we want to pick on the literal whos of Twitter.

Viva la Penblade!

When you plant potatoes you get potatoes.

Ashley Parker Alert Redux! (MSNBC).

walk into a bar…

… bartender asks, “What’ll it be, Mr. President?”