Alabama Senate special election thread of hot takes, bitter disappointment, and/or slightly possible exuberance.

Maybe they knew Roy from his mall days

Yeah. He has exactly the relationship with the rule of law you’d expect for someone thrown off the Alabama Supreme Court.

This still should have been more than enough for people to reject his candidacy and why I continue to be dumbfounded and angry with regards to the electorate here. The things people ignore are of monumental importance.

Maybe he’s hoping Alabama will secede again?

Kasich is a good example of a non evil Evangelical.

In truth, if someone actually reads and lives by the Bible, they would be not evil. Everyone should read the book of Matthew, it’s full of good messages even if you aren’t religious.

Hell, the Bible itself even wanna specifically against the people who run the Evangelical movement in the US… Again, in the book of Matthew.
“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s
clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”
-Matthew 7:15

I honestly think that the fake Christians who make up so much of the Evangelical movement just ignore this book entirely, despite the fact that it contains most of the direct statements by Christ.

Does “evangelical” require a literal interpretation of scripture (e.g. Creationism), or does it just mean that you are a particularly enthusiastic Protestant?

As far as I can tell, the only books that American evangelicals pay attention to are the Pentateuch, and the books of the New Testament that aren’t the Gospels.

I believe that evangelicalism just means that you are heavily focused on the idea that you are saved through the grace of Christ. The whole “born again” idea.

I don’t think there’s anything more specific than that? It’s not really a formal religion or sect.

In practice though, in America, it seems to be a bunch of zealots who don’t really know much about their religion. I don’t really know why, other than the fact that certain people are more prone to manipulation, and bad religious leaders take advantage of that.

@tomchick might know more, I think he studied religion more formally.

Some white evangelicals are Christians, but most seem more focused on ‘white.’

Kinda makes a fella want to be born against Christian.

Evangelicals tend to be non-denominational as well. They usually don’t have any theologians or real organization outside of the church they go to in my experience.

Though Baptists are usually considered evangelicals, so that obviously isn’t part of the definition.

It’s complicated, and it’s a term that changed meaning over time. The largest lutheran denomination in the US is the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, but you generally wouldn’t call members of the ELCA evangelicals when referring to political groups.

Generally, “evangelical” refers to non-mainline protestants who tend towards certain sets of beliefs. I’d say the big ones are putting the bible in a bigger position of authority and revealed truth, the idea of being born again, and viewing proselytizing as very important.

There are certainly lots of non-denominational evangelicals, but you see plenty in, say, southern baptist, pentecostal or wisconsin synod lutheran traditions.

Exactly.

OAN makes Fox look like WaPo.

Take Frum’s advice. I’ve never seen such collaboration on twitter

What other rumors can we report on? This is serious business!

Shades of grey, Kasich is still a huge dick toward education and abortion services. He just signed into law a Ohio ban on aborting Downs fetuses. Probably unconstitutional and politically liberal (big govt telling private citizens what they can do wtih their bodies), but plays well with his base of Biblical illiterates.

The comments are hilarious.

I caught a ride over from Louisiana on the underground Soros monorail. I even got to vote twice, once with my birth name & again under my Islamic one. Waiting for my Soros checks now.

You too? I flew to Alabammy from the West Coast dressed as a trans man, voted once, then changed clothes and voted as a lesbian. On the way home we stopped by Greece and Soros gave me fifty bucks SCORE!

I just hope he pays up quick. I have a spirit cooking ritual planned for December 25 and all this sacrificial human blood isn’t going to buy itself.

That is the funniest thread I have read in a month!