Alabama Senate special election thread of hot takes, bitter disappointment, and/or slightly possible exuberance.

What would it mean to ‘sweep’ a popular vote, exactly? Win them all?

Like, ever? But it’s still legal to abort fetuses with only 46 chromosomes?

/confused

All of these definitions are right. I’ll add one that is also right, -many- “evangelicals” are considered the raving lunatics of the Christian faith. Those that go way, way too far in the interpretation of the bible against homosexuality: evangelicals. Those who act like they are speaking in tongues or who faith heal: evangelicals. Who uses lions and lambs in sermons? Evangelicals. The most anti-muslim face of Christianity? Evangelicals. Jesus Camp? Evangelicals. Let’s not forget gaggles of kids.

Do they have a lock on crazy Christian beliefs? Certainly not. Are they like THE team we’re talking about here when we talk about crazy Christians? ABSOLFUCKINGLUTELY.

Sorry to rain on the wikipedia quoting of what the faith should be, and interrupt it with the craziness we actually see by followers and leaders who use the name but lead masses of their flocks astray.

Even Trump is like “Dude…cmon”

Wow. I was going to post a joke Wednesday about when we would see the first “Alabama is only 27% African-American and yet somehow 30% of the votes were from African-Americans!” from a Conservative pundit, but I didn’t think any of them would actually be that stupid.

Bill Mitchell proves me wrong. Why am I not the least bit surprised, both to be wrong and who the source ended up being?

This is just a further testament to the ignorance of those leading the charge in today’s GOP and it’s Conservative Media Machine. To not be able to separate the basic math that says 30% of votes cast were from African Americans from the 27% overall population figure just shows supreme ignorance. This is the level of stupid the GOP wants all of us to be.

I consider evangelicals as basically born again white Christians who insist on forcing their faith in the most judging ways possible, and a group who has no respect for any other cultures and they hate brown people too. Underneath all that is supposedly a strong belief in Christ and the Bible, except none of their words or actions actually follow those teachings. Oh and they’re run by a bunch of ultra rich white men who leave out the part about cautions about the rich in the same text.

Never under estimate the ability of those who hate racial groups to go lower than you expect them to go.

You’re absolutely right. Lesson learned.

I’m not sure how we eradicate this level of prejudice-based stupid from our collective populace, all I know is I desperately want to, because it’s at the very root of so many challenges we face as a nation…hell, as a PLANET even.

I’m a huge fan of Social Media. It has allowed us to connect and reconnect to people we weren’t able to do so before. The problem is, we’re getting snippets of information, sometimes just hate and opinion, disguised as information. This is the kind of stuff a newspaper or a news on TV would go into and then provide context and explanation.

Now we have Fox News that just spins bits of fact to support their view point, and people on Facebook and Twitter just passing things around like it’s a given, either willfully ignoring the reality or purposefully misleading. It’s a problem because someone who will give news a 5 second review will say hey that’s bigger, fraud! but someone who would read the article of a newspaper would actually used to read the whole thing.

The audience is also part of the problem. People should be able to tell when the info they are given has big gaps or is heavily slanted.

Because our school systems are so good at that? How many high school students don’t know which side Japan was on in WW2? No, responsible journalism is just that. They need to be responsible for what they report.

Agreed, but that shouldn’t get schools off the hook.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Some guy on Twitter made a series of tweets pointing out how Mitchell’s conspiracy theory about people being bussed in from Mississippi to vote made sense sense at all.

Animal House, right? Anyway, of course I realize that it would help if the schools weren’t forced to also be the primary socializers of children these days. If I’d acted toward any of my teachers like I had some kids act toward me when I briefly taught high school in the mid/late 80’s, I would have been grounded for life with no TV.

Yep, and I agree (I used to substitute). Times have certainly changed.

An ex of mine is a substitute teacher in L.A. She is full of horror stories about how students treat her.

Granted, substitutes don’t generally get the respect that regular teachers do.

My favorite response to the guy who saw the “numerous blacked out busses” on the highway was : “Didn’t you notice they were leaving Alabama? They were busses filled with Alabama’s teen girls, just in case Moore actually won.”

Burn.

I hate myself a little that that made me laugh. It sure would be nice if that asshole actually conceded. Is there a law that says the other side… has to?

Nah. Gore could still not concede to this day.

Conceding is merely a thing that polite adults do.

It has no real impact on anything. It’s not like it means anything from the perspective of confirming a victory or anything.