Alabama Senate special election thread of hot takes, bitter disappointment, and/or slightly possible exuberance.

Heaven forfend! When did those people get citizenship anyway? /s

Yeah, I imagine that those voters aren’t too thrilled with him.

One man’s blame is another man’s praise.

You mean Alabama has latino and muslim voters, and that somebody let the blacks vote?

Moore’s own son, 27-year-old Caleb Elisha Moore, has been arrested nine different times — most recently in October — on charges such as criminal trespassing, drug possession, and driving under the influence.

But he’s not a homosexual. Just your average Alabama kid.

Law and order candidate

Georgia: Hold my beer…

If the town is 70% black, why do the super racist council members keep getting re-elected? I don’t understand what’s going on there.

The council is voted in by district and not by the general population probably.

So gerrymandering and vote suppression, probably.

Ok Wiki says that there are two districts, each which elects 3 of the 6 council members. Even if they worked it so one district is Republican, it still doesn’t make sense.

Well, I think some cities vote by district to insure that minority areas can elect minority representatives. But I would guess in this case the lines aren’t drawn proportionally. Also, sometimes voters actually vote for the best candidate regardless of race.

This is true but it’s unusual that an area that is 70% black has no representation on the council.

Half of the City Council is black.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

My bad. Somehow I conflated the story discussing the lack of blacks on the police force and the comment about the “white city council members” as meaning the entire council was white. I actually read the article and concluded that. I created my own fake news!

I am getting a serious “must be more to the story” vibe.

Well, of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/roy-moore-files-lawsuit-to-block-alabama-senate-result/2017/12/28/d7e38b72-eb99-11e7-956e-baea358f9725_story.html

The court filing occurred about 14 hours ahead of Thursday’s meeting of a state canvassing board to officially declare Jones the winner of the Dec. 12 special election. Jones defeated Moore by about 20,000 votes.

Moore’s attorney wrote in the complaint filed late Wednesday that he believed there were irregularities during the election and said there should be a fraud investigation and eventually a new election.

“This is not a Republican or Democrat issue as election integrity should matter to everyone,” Moore said in a statement released Wednesday announcing the complaint.

Irregularities? In an Alabama election? I’m shocked! Shocked, I tell you! Of course, any irregularities are more likely to be in the form of suppressing black and Democratic votes, so maybe Moore ought to be careful what he wishes for…

The irregularity of a Democrat winning needs to be looked in to.