Aladdin live action movie from Disney and Guy Ritchie

I mean, I guess I saw Hitch and that was fun if vapid. With a better script that character could be better. :D

These Disney live action things started off bad and have gotten worse after every release. I get that it prints money for them but no thank you. (And this is from a huge Disney fan who goes to Disneyland at least once a month)

It’s not just you. It looked like a Snapchat face swap filter or something, his face was just kind of a layer sitting on top of an unrelated cg body.

I think his features are too skinny for the very wide genie face, so they don’t look like they belong.

I thought Christopher Robin was pretty decent. :)

What’s weird is that there is already an excellent live action genie in the Aladdin musical:

No VFX. Just an awesome performer who completely sold the role.

I rewatched recently all Guy Ritchie movies, from Lock Stock to Uncle and King Arthur and I enjoyed all of them, really all of them. I can’t imagine that he is doing a boring movie, I just can’t. But maybe Disney will manage to pull that off… on a side note: Uncle felt like what if Wes Anderson did a spy movie. So precise and attention to every detail. I hope they make a sequel

Even Swept Away? :B

uh, yeah, that’s … a Madonna movie? strange, never heard of it. So there is a chance that Aladdin will suck, got it.

My work has nothing at all to do with movies or special effects, and yet I still feel that person’s pain.

Yeah. I mean, is there even a way to make CGI Will Smith as a blue genie not uncanny valley? It’s just a bad decision. Just make the genie a guy. Some things in animation don’t translate. As @LMN8R noted above, they had an actor as a perfectly fine rendition of the genie in the stage version.

I really doubt that turning Will Smith into a blue genie that doesn’t look like garbage is the holy grail of special effects work.

I actually enjoy the Disney Live Action run, but I’m not really a fan of the blue Smith approach here. I mean, rather not have him blue if that’s all they’re going to do.

I guess? I’m just trying to envision a good interpretation of this, and I’m having a hard time. I suppose Thanos is the benchmark (stylized CGI character that retains the actor’s features). Maybe the genie’s face is too recognizable?

Just seems like a bad decision. It would have been interesting if they had actually gone against expectations for the physicality of the character. Just make it a (live action) dude who embodies a big personality.

You can get away with that on Broadway, but not so much in a Hollywood movie. I think the problem is in the execution of the graphics on Will Smith’s genie. It’s just not good CGI with the face not being a good match for the body they gave him. Hopefully they are still able to fix it up for the final product.

New trailer, and it seems they’ve turned down the blue as it looks significantly better.

They also seem to have him largely as himself, no blue coloring.

Still not sold, but my 5 year old was.

This should’ve been the first footage they released.

Yeah the first footage was so bad. It was worse than nothing.

This wasn’t exactly inspiring, not much here stood out as unique or interesting over the original, but it was at least decent.

It also reminded me of a music video. Though that’s probably more a reflection of my musical tastes…

That seems perfectly fun to me. I won’t go out and see it in the theaters, but when I inevitably sign up for the Disney streaming service to watch MCU stuff I’ll watch that during my free trial while I’m at it, why not?

This looks so much better. I am wary though because that other trailer didn’t come out of nowhere. That also looks like some fun dancing in there.