Alien: Isolation - Aliens, Creative Assembly, and Ripley's daughter

I agree, i did feel tense the whole time. But that’s just part of the job. Ordinary people spend their lives avoiding tense situations, after all.

Need to track down some cheats because I’d like to give it another go but this time with a full inventory and all items available to be crafted right from the beginning. The hive missions down in the engineering section was very tense and the whole time down there I was waiting for a cocooned colonist to awaken and beg for me to kill him or her. I guess in retrospect it wasn’t just one xeno stalking you but several or more as more hatched from their hosts.

Which is a pretty cool twist, isn’t it? I really liked that reveal. As well as the Weyland-Yutani tie-in.

Have any of you guys been playing the survival missions, or whatever they’re called? What do you think of those?

-Tom

Despite the critical acclaim and player reactions, Sega disclosed to investors that Alien Isolation sold only 1.76 million units across all platforms. It’s not a flop, but they were “disappointed” with the sales.

This really saddens me. I want CA to create more Alien games, but I guess chances of that happening and pretty low.

Shame, one of my favorite games of last year (and indeed, ever).

They might. Sega didn’t say whether or not they were so disappointed by the sales that they won’t push forward with a sequel. It could be that the franchise needs another entry to attract a larger audience. Alternately, they need to reign in the budget and go for something less ambitious.

1.76 millions for a $60 game, pure single player, pure stealth game is pretty good. But of course they hoped for more, with numbers like other AAA franchises.

Incoming sequel with action and online mode :P

Well, we’ll always have Sevastopol.

Derp derp 2 browser tabs.

Anyway, I’ve just started playing this. The environments are incredible, this + a VR headset would be amazing.

Yeah, you have to watch out for those Aliens.

So I don’t know what I thought was going to happen, but mission 13 or 14 a surprise for me. I now know how Ripley must feel. I think I crapped myself when I realized what I was going to have to do.

Mission 17… I thought this was a short game. My nerves are wrecked. I played cat and mouse with an alien for 5 minutes trying to get to the other side of the room. There no lockers or boxes, but I finally made it to the… aw shit the door is on the other side of the room. Okay. I can do this. I can make it. Almost there. Alien is looking the other way. I can open door yes! I’m in the… ah fuck face hugger!!!

With Alien Isolation being on sale last weekend and with my GTX 970 on its way, I decided to finally pick this up.

First off, wow, it’s a real looker.

Secondly, why in god’s name did I buy this? I prefer the idea of playing horror games over actually playing them because I’m such a big scaredy cat.

Thirdly, what’s the best difficulty to play this on? I read earlier on that the harder difficulties kind of sour the experience with repeat deaths and having to replay sections again and again. I don’t want that! So, I’m guessing that leaving it on normal is the most sensible option unless that’s a bit of a pain as well.

Yeah, it’s a good assumption to make, just play on Normal.

Definitely play on normal and don’t be conservative in using your craft-able items to distract the alien. As in most games with craft-able stuff, I tend to hoard and use sparingly thinking this stuff will come in really handy when I have to battle foozle, but that’s the wrong mindset for AI. You NEED to use your items to distract the alien in order to advance to other parts of the map. If you’re too conservative as I was you’ll get stuck in a frustrating save-reload cycle. Use your stuff at will because you’ll find more parts to craft more stuff as you progress through the game.

It’s a stressful game for sure and I went in with the mindset of thinking I could handle anything the game could throw at me because, hey, I survived Thief’s cathedral missions so what could be anymore scarier than those hammer haunts? Well hammer haunts can be killed and you can run and hide if they find spot you but if you’re spotted by the alien in AI you’re fucked if you don’t have the flame thrower or explosives to ward it off. I have some of the DLC but I really haven’t dabbled in them because I’m too much a scaredy-cat.

By the way, there’s a thread in the Steam AI forums where you can download ripped sounds from the game to use for your cellphone or desktop theme.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/619568793931595387/?tscn=1428345792#p1

I was tempted to pick this up during the sale and decided I’d probably get too stressed over it!

Protip regarding crafting: you can put items into crafting slots without actually creating an item. Perfect for freeing up some inventory space since you can only carry a limited amount of each crafting material.

It’s worth checking out just for the visuals audio alone. I’m thinking of doing another play through but with a cheat thingy to have all craftables available at the start of the game. For stress management.

This appears to be what I’m looking for.

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=576837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Maybe next big discount I’ll work up the courage :-)

For the amount it’s currently discounted for when it goes on sale I’d say buying it just for the opener is worth it. The ambience and sense of place is just phenomenal. Just pretend the story is: puny human meets alien, dies.