Alien movie from Fede Alvarez and Hulu?

Rolls eyes

While the premise for the yet-to-be-titled movie has been kept under wraps, the studio did reveal that the film will follow “a group of young people on a distant world, who find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.”

It’s the ninth Alien movie. Goddamn go big and make it large scale already. Do something we haven’t seen.

I’ll watch it but they way this mentions it’s about a “group of young people” immediately raises a red flag. YA Alien isn’t something I’m interested in.

Hmm, actually having an Alien hive pop up and go on a tear thru the Outer Banks would be something I’m all for. Bring it!

It can’t be any worse than Alien Resurrection. So I’m in.

As anyone who watches horror movies know, the worst movies are the ones that open with a bunch of teenagers in a car driving somewhere. No one is tricking me by changing the car to a spaceship or colony LV-426 or whatever.

Remember when they made movies like The Thing, about adults who’ve already been somewhere for a while, instead of kids taking off for a weekend?

This thing?

Still not on any streaming service, unfortunately.

When I saw the “young people on a distant world”, I realized this was the Aliens: Spring Break movie I’ve been waiting for.

You couldn’t find something more recent than 2001? :)

Speak of the devil!

Hey you’re lucky it’s that recent—I was going to post Texas Chain Saw Massacre, which is arguably the greatest horror film, which of course starts off with a bunch of teenagers in a van driving somewhere.

Ha ha, you’ve seen at least 25% of the Jeepers Creepers franchise!

I’ve watched them all. I am sad.

Much like other progenitors, it’s oft imitated but this is hardly ever a good idea (see: Halloween). Also, Australian Apocalypse exception.

Opening the movie (the proper movie, anyway) with kids going on a road trip is like 1 in 4 of every garbage horror movie I’ve watched in the past decade (which has to be like a hundred thousand movies at this point). There’s an argument the worst is Margaux. And Jeepers Creepers, the second worst horror franchise ever (I forgot Saw existed when I said it was the worst previously).

As with so many other elements of that movie, you’re going to find bits and pieces throughout all horror, and 99% of the time, they will be done poorly. See also, inbred families, Southerners, folks with disabilities represented as monstrous, and especially cannibalism, which isn’t even present in the movie, and is only arguably even implied. Texas Chainsaw Massacre set the stage for decades of idiots who didn’t understand its appeal, or sometimes what they were even seeing!

Hmm, actually, now I wonder if there are horror movies with dumb kids driving somewhere that predate Texas Chainsaw Massacre. My own favorite instance was Drew Goddard riffing on it with Cabin in the Woods. It wasn’t as self-aware about it as it was with “the harbinger”, but I’m convinced it’s there.

EDIT: Oooh, ooh, I knew I was forgetting one. Here’s one that really stands out for me: Carriers! A horror movie that opens with a bunch of kids in a car driving to vacation or some such thing…but with an awesome twist that establishes the premise of the movie.

Ha ha, we’ve seen all the Jeepers Creepers!

I’ve seen 25% of the Jeepers Creepers movies (today I learned that there are four of them). I liked the first one, I thought it was a pretty fun movie.

Not to my knowledge, unless you want to count The Last House on the Left, which predates it by a couple years. Otherwise, I think Tobe Hooper’s masterpiece pretty much kickstarted the whole “teen road trip slaughter” genre.

edit - For what it’s worth, I very much enjoyed the first half of Jeepers Creepers (the second half is fine), but I haven’t sought out the sequels yet.

The first is the only good one. The second has some interesting ideas, but it’s chock full of Victor Salva’s gaze and once you know about him, it makes the film really creepy - not in a fun horror movie way. The third is just trash and this newest one… Uggggggghhhh.

Raises the question, are there pure horror movies where everyone does everything right and still gets slashed/eaten? Because that would be fascinating.

Depends on what you mean by “does everything right”. I mean there are movies where people generally do the best possible things given available information (and not having access to information that might need to take dramatically different decisions) and it doesn’t help. E.g. It Follows (and bonus points here, because they keep coming up with clever ways to try and fight/minimize the threat). Or Hereditary.

Ben in Night of the Living Dead is really the classic example.