Alienware Aurora is a no-go in some states

Sweet, ive always wanted to be a bootlegger. Im heading to the garage now to start supping up my car. I figure if I remove the backssat I can fit 12 gaming PCs in it.

NASCAR came out of moonshine bootlegging. What will come out of PC bootlegging? I can’t see CA Dept. of Energy agents chasing you down twisting mountain roads.

Black market RGB - the equivalent to those busted mufflers

Watercooler moonshine

I’m up for the modern-day remix of Eastbound and Down

So, what about rendering rigs? That seems like it’d be a big deal, especially to Hollywood.

Hollywood has been leaving California for years.

I like your thinking. The red RGB increases speed, correct? I figure with enough RGB I can top my maxima out at about 149 mph. Wheres that damn chart? I need to get to work.

But there are still major VFX and CG firms there. ILM is in San Francisco. Pixar is in Oakland. Dreamworks Animation is in Glendale. The list goes on.

I didnt say they had completely left but a ton have and will continue to do so They are certainly filming much less there so how hard would it be to pack of a visual effects studio. Not very.

Blue Skys studio : Ice Age, Rio, Epic

Animal Logic: Happy Feat, Lego movies, 300, Matrix

Weta Digital: Lord of the Rings, Avatar, etc.

3 top ones not in Cali.

Regardless, I suspect there will be exceptions for buisnesses. Silicon Valley is still there after all…for now.

I’m pretty sure the major FX/animation houses aren’t buying high-end gaming PCs off the shelf for rendering. They’re building custom rack-mounted machines, and components aren’t subject to this limitation I think.

According to a JaysTwoCents video—which of course is always authoritative, lol—therr are exemptions for parts at various levels, including high-bandwidth GPUs on PCs with high wattage PSUs (that are gold certified).

The regulations are targeting idle power usage when a computer is not being actively used. The wattage being measured is a weighted average of idle and sleep power usage. Start at baseline 75W and extra allowances if more hardware is added like a video card.

There’s no limitation on consumption during active use for now. Although things like servers and pro workstations have their dedicated category for their measurements.

Surprisingly, not the only song to ever include the word “Texarkana” in the lyrics.

This is a probably a sign that it’s time for me to upgrade before Minnesota follows the same path.

Steve Burke:

I thought that video was very informative. Thanks for linking it @Alistair