Alita: Battle Angel - Robert Rodriguez, James Cameron, anime eyes

Horrifying

Avatar aside, I’m still of the opinion that betting against James Cameron is a bad idea…and eventually one of the anime adaptations is going to land…

But I can’t for the life of me get behind this. Even that parts that aren’t horrible cg-eyes looked bad.

Cameron is just the producer. Robert Rodriguez is the director. I’m happy to see where he takes it.

Saying that, those eyes bug the shit out of me.

Reportedly has a $200 million production budget.

I think this may bomb.

I feel like this has been in the works since Duke Nukem Forever went into development. I’m astonished that it’s actually coming out.

Yeesh! It feels like Robert Rodriguez career has been on the skids for a while, too: Machete and its sequels, and a really bad Sin City sequel that arrived a decade too late. How on Earth did he end up helming a $200 million movie? I would’ve been really keen if James Cameron was directing (this project was on his IMDB page forever), but Rodriguez feels like such an odd choice.

I don’t know anything about the source material, but the trailer makes it look like an anime robot found in a junkyard and Frankensteined to life? The big eyes would make sense in that scenario, and it appears she’s the only character like that, so I’m not too bothered by it. Christoph Waltz more than makes up for it, and you could do worse than Jennifer Connelly. Rodriguez has been hit or miss for me. I enjoyed Planet Terror, From Dusk Till Dawn, and the Machete movies, so I’ll at least consider it a rental.

How did anyone think those CG eyes were a good idea?

I watched the OVA like 15 years ago, and that about fits my recollection. But the thing is, her head is still a normal human head. The eyes make sense in the context of an anime/manga where everyone looks like that because it’s the style.

But when everyone else looks like normal human? Jesus fuck why are you still allowed to make movies Robert Rodriguez.

Emma Stone wasn’t available, so they had to go with a different actress and CGI.

It looks like her mouth has also been tiny-fied, to try to get maximal anime-aesthetic, as well as maximal creepiness.

I’m not going to say that people seem to pull exactly the wrong things for anime for adaptation… But definitely predominantly the wrong things.

Why, oh, why.

Well, here is Rodriguez’s comment about the eyes:

It was always Jim’s intention to create a photo-realistic version of the manga eyes that we’re so accustomed to seeing. We really wanted to honour that tradition and see that look standing next to any human character. To have the right person to emote behind it was really essential. Her origins are in the film and you understand why she looks that way. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, we have some pretty big windows. You can see a lot going on in there! When it gets to the emotional scenes it’s really uncanny and striking. And captivating!

There are more background things he talks about in that interview on Empire btw.

Anime = 💩

My god man, educate yourself. First scene reproduced in the trailer less than a minute in.

Ha, I’ll be damned, I found something I agree with wumpus about. This is a red letter day! I mean, ok, I’ve seen a couple anime that I found entertaining - I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo for their insane kinetic energy, but for the most part I just cannot get into the overwrought melodrama happening to bug-eye teenage cartoon people.

… which brings me to Alita and, oh my god, this is exhibit A for uncanny valley. I don’t know how this one got greenlit but it’s about as wrong a thing that has ever wronged. Though I didn’t see that Scarlett Johanson thing, so maybe it was even wronger.

You really need an upskirt emoji for the math to add up.

Can’t wait for the opsis.

Looks alright to me but I’m a popcorn movie kinda guy. I can appreciate Rodriguez taking a chance and going with anime eyes.

I am not horrified at all. Movie looks better than latest MARVEL crap.