Alita: Battle Angel - Robert Rodriguez, James Cameron, anime eyes

I didn’t really see any uncanney valley even after all the hubub about it here. I have no idea what the story is about except that its some famous anime/manga. But based soley on the trailer I’m intrigued.

And a reference to small girls who happen to be 1000 years old.

Damn, I thought this was going to be the rollerblading storyline. It’s the origin story, which is not that interesting.

BTW, guys, the source material is indeed good and does not fall into most of the hypersexualized tropes you complain about.

Edit: talking about the manga. The anime is not very good at all (80s style adaptation without a lot of heart)

We have our first entry for the 2018 Horror Roundup thread I see.

If they were going for that look, they may as well have gone all in.

Who would put the effort into doing this… and doesn’t use the cat theme?

/shakes head.

For any folk here looking for some absolutely kickass manga that gets you to love its bugeyed lady, try to get your hands on Mai:The Psychic Girl (it was released to the US/Can in the late eighties I think). I cannot understand how it hasn’t been adapted into a series or movie yet, it has all the elements you could possibly want: super-ish powers, mysterious occult organizations, gangsters, loveable rogues, coming of age story, etc. And the B&W art is absolutely beautiful. Stylized, but not overly so.

This movie is a mistake. It’s not too late to fix it. Just undo the googly eyes.

Seriously whoever approved this character must have also been the guy that approved Superman’s cartoon mouth in Justice League. It just sucks and looks fake and stupid.

Nah, I think she might work, specially given the setting. The guy, though, a total miscast.

This is how he should look (more boyish and insecure):

Hugo is a huge douche though, beyond his kid looks, so I have no issue with him looking like the part.

Yukito Kishiro is one of the very rare manga authors who really owns his works, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the decisions (the uncanny overlarge eyes, the plot that seems to mirror word for word the original material) had to get his blessing, for better or worse.

Since the movie seems to contain the two first arcs of the manga (according to wikipedia it does include the motorball storyline) it’s either heavily adapted or it will last 3 hours (or it will be a mess, which, you know, it’s possible).

I completely agree, but when I read something or watch something, I want to abandon my old self. and exit the experience has a different person.

This happens more often with anime than with western hollywood movies. Western movies are like 50 or 60 years back in time. Anime talks about items (sometimes) that you will not see in a hollywood movie until 2085.

In other news, the happy people of San Francisco have found a solution to the pest that is poor people. Robots!, they can now use robots against poors…

Is that robot related to the one that was found passed out drunk in an office fountain?

Reality already surpass fiction and is only monday.

Pushed back to late December.

The Robert Rodriguez-directed Alita: Battle Angel was going to be released on July 20, 2018 but has now been pushed back to December 21, 2018. The film will have some big competition on that date, with Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Holmes & Watson scheduled to hit theaters that same day.

Holmes & Watson?

Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly?

What?

I’d completely forgotten this movie existed! After Cameron dropped it in favour of more Avatar stuff, my interest did fizzle out and that trailer didn’t do it much favours. Curious to see if it turns out ok. Rodriguez directing & this delay are not encouraging.

Maybe the delay is to digitally downsize the supersized eyes, after early screenings.

Won’t that be using original normal eyes footages and actually SPEED UP post-production???

Unless it was already done, lol.