Alita: Battle Angel - Robert Rodriguez, James Cameron, anime eyes

Setting aside for the moment that interesting isn’t the opposite of terrible…

You’d be hard pressed to find a single action movie with interesting dialogue? Is that something you seriously just said?

0 Likes

Interesting is a different measure for different people.

But anyways, @Left_Empty, glad you enjoyed it. I am cautiously optimistic about it, having really enjoyed the first manga series as a teenager (never read Last Order and while I was thinking about it because of the movie, you seem to indicate it’s not worth it?).

Also, we need a Motorball videogame!

0 Likes

Road House had great dialogues, but that was an exception.

There is some wacky and dark world building in the first few books of Last Order — Kishiro’s really good at it — but 90% of the series is basically a Dragonball budokan filler event: a karate tournament takes place from book 5 to book 17 — and I used to think of the Motorball of the first series as filler!
Both in Last Order or the recent Mars Chronicles, Gary has just become a detached spectator, the absolute anti-thesis of her character at the beginning of the series. Maybe it is just part of a 20 years long story-arc the author has been concocting, but I am doubtful. As such, it might be nostalgia for the character that made me enjoy the movie more than most might think it really is worth.

0 Likes

You must be nuked from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

0 Likes

I read the series recently due to the movie, and Last Order really doesn’t hold up to the original series. It’s not bad, as such, but it pretty much loses a lot of what makes the original series interesting, except in the occasional flashback and world-building sequences (as well as the occasional introspection by the main character, but as you note - she becomes much more of a detached spectator in LO, than she was in the original series).

0 Likes

Very good movie.

0 Likes

I’m very glad it turned out to be a very good movie. I am usually skeptical of Hollywood, but this looked cool to me. Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the eyes. Yes they make me uncomfortable, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

0 Likes

They didn’t make me uncomfortable - I mean, I KNEW she couldn’t see me ! Lol jk. Anyway they didn’t make me uncomfortable. I love the tech n mech. Was unfamiliar with the manga or anime - may check them out now.

0 Likes

Read the manga, avoid the anime (it’s just bland)

0 Likes

The only good part of Last Order and beyond is the cool world building (it’s a full transhumanist scifi with different factions in Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, etc). Apart from that, the self contained adventure of the original comic was much better.

0 Likes

Ok - thanks !

0 Likes

Movie good, eyes are ment to hit uncanny valley, so if you Get a bit creeeped the effect is correct on you.

Wanted more motorball, but still good fun.

0 Likes

Are they? I was under the impression that the reason for the eyes is that Cameron and Rodriguez were aping the look of the manga.

0 Likes

Kishiro’s visual take on the Western take. It could go loops and loops!

0 Likes

Psst, Left_, not everyone here speaks Elvish like you apparently do.

0 Likes

It’s just the image linked. An illustration by the original author of the film character.

0 Likes

Special effects are amazing. Actors try very very very hard with what they are given. But … the script is dreadful, ponderous and cloying. I was laughing by the end at how supremely stupid it was.

Avoid unless you like excellent cgi.

0 Likes

I watched it today - it was…ok?

They played it mostly straight out of what I recall from the manga, which I did appreciate even if it doesn’t really always translate well into live-action.

0 Likes

It was fine. Pretty much what I expected.

0 Likes

0 Likes