All good demons go to Nintendo: Diablo on switch

Need a thread just for this I guess.

There’s a lot I like but one thing that is fucking STUPID. If your host changes you lose all bounty progress. It’s maddening!

My friend code: SW-1804-2497-1309

Diablo on the go is intriguing but I’ll be damned if they think I’m going to triple dip at full price.

I hate rebuying stuff I already have, but I’ll pick up Diablo 3 for sure. Especially since it is a complete package with everything.

I’ll see whether or not I pick up Civ VI when it comes, but it annoys me that they release it without the expansion integrated. I haven’t bought the expansion on PC yet, so that would have been an added draw since I might actually end up playing it on the go whereas I never seem to get around to playing it when at home.

The price discrepency here between physical and digital is once again unbelieveable - Diablo 3 is $60 physically shipped in a box, but $90 downloaded on the eShop.

Uh $90? Shows up as $60 for me.

Oh? I just bought it in the estore.

I think it is way overpriced. Sure a new platform, but the game first released 6 years ago or so?

Was $70 equivalent in my local currency.

I am in Au; I guess I should convert to USD when speaking price.

Digital version is $90 here = $65 US.

The boxed version seems a pretty good price, as it’s equiv to ~ $43 US.

I got to play D3 a bit on my lunch. Nice so far. Been playing it on PC forever so I’m having a bit of a learning curve with the controls.

Amazon Au. But you needed to buy it as a pre-order, the price is back up by $10 AUD now . :)

edit: @krayzkrok here’s one from Gamesmen, use code P5OFF, $58.90 AUD delivered:

Played a bit of Diablo and it seems to work well. The controls are a bit weird and unfamiliar, though, especially the targeting. I’ll have to pick up some more joycons when I am back home over christmas, I think this will be an excellent couch coop-game.

Oh, look, all you PC Diablo holdouts are finally encountering the One True Diablo Control Scheme! :)

And it took Nintendo to get you here…

-Tom

Diablo peeps: Friend code for Diablo Switch: SW-1804-2497-1309

Who’s getting one?

My last Diablo was number 1 on PC. And that felt weird because Gauntlet and Gaunlet II in the arcade had joysticks.

I haven’t dipped in this genre too much but I figured this one would be awesome as a portable game. Check.

I dunno. I much prefer the controls on PC for less hassle with the menus and better targeting. I don’t really care for the dodging either. What is it with the console control scheme you find to be so good?

Part of it is probably what I’m used to since I’ve not played much on any console since the Wii. But having played some more Diablo III on the Switch now, I can’t seem to get a hang of the targeting. Is it supposed to cycle? Does it select the target that it seems to be the optimal one? If so, why doesn’t it just autotarget?

I’m playing the Necromancer which I bought for the PC already but never got around to playing. Corpse Explosion is super fun. But I switched to the bone spike-power since it seems to have pretty good targeting selection.

Mainly that Blizzard did an amazing job adapting everything to a controller, from the way spells are targeted to the hub-based interface. You would never know from playing that this was a game originally designed for a mouse-and-keyboard. And of course, sitting back with a controller is way more comfortable.

But also, it’s how it feels like a different game when you have direct agency over the character’s movements. Diablo on a PC – most top-down action RPGs on a PC? – always felt like you were pulling the dude along on a string. But with a controller, I’m moving the dude directly instead of telling him where to stand.

-Tom

Tom is really good at telling people where to stand.

Huh. I can se what you’re getting at with the movement, but I find the targeting to be vastly inferior to playing with M+KB. All of the menues and inventory/skill management is also painfully inefficient.

That’s part of how they adapted it. There aren’t a lot of spells that require pinpoint precision, and those that do are pretty smartly autotargeted. The only issues I’ve had are trying to teleport to a specific spot with some of the escape movement, but it’s mainly a matter of getting used to it. The stick rolling takes up a lot of that slack, by the way. Once you get used to that roll on the right stick, you’ll miss it if you go back to the PC version!

But, really, it comes down to what you’re used to. Personally, I find the grids and teensy icons more torturous than the wheel now that I’m used to the wheel. What’s killing me now is Nintendo’s back-asswards fucking button inversion from the way every other civilized country does contoller buttons! Damn you, Nintendooooo!

-Tom

Sure, I think we can agree that what we’re used to plays a big role here.

However, I can’t say that I’ve seen this smart autotargeting on some of the powers, like bone spikes or whatever the first secondary of the Necromancer is called. That said, I don’t expect the pinpoint accuracy of M+KB from the joycons, and I agree that the controls for the most parts are really good and feel “right”.

Also re: equipment menus: PC tooltips rule.