All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Does cyberpunk support fsr1? If not you’re looking at native resolution which should look great on such a small screen. But FSR2 will run faster.

Steam Deck begs for a VRR display. They should do an in-generation update. It would be so much nicer.

Sweet! Now I can expect to be able to buy one… around the turn of the year. I didn’t reserve it until like November or something. I ran an estimate on a lark the other day, and it said at the current rate it’d be next March, so maybe by Xmas sounds nice.

Cyberpunk supports FSR, but yes I was talking about native rendering. FSR1 declines image quality too much. Of course, now FSR2 can be modded in, but I did not try that.

As for VRR…sure it would be nice to have, but it also means higher battery consumption since framerate would always be the highest GPU can muster.
Right now I can just enable framerate lock to 40fps and 40hz if I want and it is still pretty smooth compared to 30, without going up to 60 and thus eating more battery.

How are the noise levels these days? I am still kinda interested, but wary about noise from fans.

Still a lottery I think. I had my RMAd and my second unit is again the one with shite whiny fan. It is a bit better after fan curve modifications Valve did, but I am still gonna replace that fan once the better one is in stock.

Yes, it is annoying af having to do that. Of course, not everyone is as sensitive to that sound as me.

I am fairly certain I am :-) Thanks for the information!

lol

I actually wasn’t completely joking.

Usually I want to wait for a rev2 on new hardware, just so the bugs get worked out.

But I suppose it doesn’t really matter for the steam deck, as I can’t get a rev1 anyway.

For me, this piece of hardware seems like a perfect idea to replace the nintendo switch as my portable console

FSR2 needs to be coded in the game, no?

I don’t think so, given that FSR 1 is available via Steam Deck overlay and FSR2 can be modded into Cyberpunk 2077 without any of the developer’s involvement?

FSR2 absolutely needs to be supported by each individual game. Actually FSR1 does also.

What the Steam Deck is probably doing is “RSR”, what AMD calls Radeon Super Resolution. This spatially upscales same as FSR1 but it upscales the entire screen as the very last step, meaning it upscales the UI and text as well, which looks like shit. But on a tiny low-res screen, it’s basically acceptable. Not ideal for sure, but tougher to notice.

I mean, that mod appears to change the DLSS implementation of Cyberpunk to use FSR 2.0 instead.

Which, it’s great if it works, and could be a way to add it to a bunch of games, but still, I doubt it’s something that Valve could implement for all the games, replace DLSS with FSR 2.0 without the people who made the game having to do anything.

Yes, it hooks into the DLSS2 DLL and translates the calls, from what I understand. It’s an incredibly impressive mod, and hopefully all DLSS2 games will get it. Valve could even support it natively, assuming it doesn’t violate Nvidia’s IP anywhere.

Of course it’s a violation of NVidia’s IP. You’re creating a derivative work of their dll, if I’ve understood the mechanism correctly.

I believe they’re hooking into the existing DLL and translating its calls to support FSR2, so that isn’t necessarily infringing, depending on how they created it.

Ok, there’s no “hooking” going on, they just replace the dll (according to the mod website anyway).

Now NVidia could claim the replacement dll was a derivative work of their API specification. But that’s a lot more legally grey than anything that is based on the dll binaries themselves.

Yeah if clean room implemented they should be ok.

Woo got my email!

Great news! Everyone waiting for the Steam Deck hardware update? It’s here!

But you’re not going to like it!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/valve-halves-steam-deck-ssd-bandwidth-on-some-models-say-games-performance-is-unaffected

I usually wait a year or two after a new hardware is released to give time to sort out the bugs as well. Not a full Steam Deck 2, just the little things like the fan that need sorting out.

I also want a Steam Deck to replace my Switch. I I think the Steam Deck is probably a better fit for what I am looking for in a “play in bed” handheld.

Could also be the reason why they’re able to double shipments. Accept a wider range of components that don’t seem to impact actual peformance.