All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Of course it’s a violation of NVidia’s IP. You’re creating a derivative work of their dll, if I’ve understood the mechanism correctly.

I believe they’re hooking into the existing DLL and translating its calls to support FSR2, so that isn’t necessarily infringing, depending on how they created it.

Ok, there’s no “hooking” going on, they just replace the dll (according to the mod website anyway).

Now NVidia could claim the replacement dll was a derivative work of their API specification. But that’s a lot more legally grey than anything that is based on the dll binaries themselves.

Yeah if clean room implemented they should be ok.

Woo got my email!

Great news! Everyone waiting for the Steam Deck hardware update? It’s here!

But you’re not going to like it!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/valve-halves-steam-deck-ssd-bandwidth-on-some-models-say-games-performance-is-unaffected

I usually wait a year or two after a new hardware is released to give time to sort out the bugs as well. Not a full Steam Deck 2, just the little things like the fan that need sorting out.

I also want a Steam Deck to replace my Switch. I I think the Steam Deck is probably a better fit for what I am looking for in a “play in bed” handheld.

Could also be the reason why they’re able to double shipments. Accept a wider range of components that don’t seem to impact actual peformance.

It probably helps, but it seems unlikely that the SSD was their bottleneck. I would expect the SoC to be the problem, as well as possibly the higher-end antiglare display. Probably also the tooling for their chassis.

I’m just pumped that I can do handheld Slay the Spire without starting over.

As someone who grew up with consoles all the way back to the Atari, I decided to give the Steam Deck a try. The verdict: This is the console I recommend for serious gamers who don’t mind doing some tinkering to enjoy games new and old. But it has major flaws, and it’s definitely not for people looking for a plug-and-play experience offered by a traditional game console.

Lastly, while some may not mind the Steam Deck’s entire PC gaming industry’s digital-only approach to buying games, many who prefer owning physical cartridges and discs — which can be easily shared with friends and resold to others — will view it as a dealbreaker.

Fixed it for them.

And, as of the next generation, all consoles, too.

But hey, cling to those physical media as long as possible! I definitely am!

(And a minor quibble… all electronic gaming media have always been digital-only. But I know what they mean.)

Speaking of tweaking - I didn’t think I’d do much and that I’d let the Steam Deck’s default performance guide what I played, but I recently used the performance controls to drop my max TDP and cap the framerate to 30 on my performance profile for Elden Ring (on recommendation from a forum post), and was shocked to see my battery life basically double with easily acceptable performance reductions. Then I found myself tweaking the grip buttons to sprint without having to hold down the sticks and well, it’s all great. I’m really impressed with the UX on the Deck on the customization front, and in general.

Has anyone actually seen their Steam Deck delivery estimate change with the recent production surge? Mine hasn’t, but I didn’t order until April.

He’s talking to a small audience there, too. Console sales are majority digital nowadays, and have been for a while now.

That 83% digital mix does include PC and mobile games (and Mobile is huge), but just peek in Gamestop if you’re wondering how healthy the physical disc market is nowadays.

Mine hasn’t, I ordered in August.

Neither has mine. Ordered August 2nd. Still July to September delivery.

Same with mine, ordered July 26.

Got mine yesterday. Plugged it in, got my updates, downloaded some games and… remembered why my switch is gathering dust. I’m a sucker for the new and shiny but I’m just not a mobile gamer. Faffed around a little bit. Then went back to playing Old World on my PC. (BTW, old world is perfectly playable on the deck despite not being certified. But tiny)

I also tried Mudrunner (which I haven’t played in over a year), decided I wanted to start over and couldn’t figure out how to delete my save games. Any idea how to find and delete files, which had gotten downloaded from the cloud?

Is there a good beginner’s guide to the hardware?

I’m the same way! That’s why my PS Vita gathers dust.

However, the Switch is also a docked console! Hook that sucker up to a TV, it’s great! You never have to use it in mobile mode. I’ve never even tried it that way.

I’d rather try playing Switch games in bed than Age of Empires on a laptop.