All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

I’m going to be putting up with the 90GB install size on Steam Deck for this once I get my SSD, but if you want a rhythm game fix on Steam Deck without worrying about storage issues, might I suggest Muse Dash? Hundreds of songs, often goes on sale for around $20 for everything (including all future content updates), and it only takes up Two Gigabytes of that precious Steam Deck storage. It turns out you can save a lot of space if your rhythm game doesn’t have keysounds or background videos!

We’re on the same wavelength, that’s exactly what I installed in place of it :)

I would not chance it. MMCs die constantly. Fine to store games, not the OS.

Old phones manage to do it just fine; with the added replace-ability, I wouldn’t worry about that factor if I was getting it. Just IMO. I’d probably care the 64GB, but I could handle hacking my way around that too.
Yay, PCs!

Most phone storage is more like a SSD than a MMC, it uses more flash chips in parallel for speed with reserved space for endurance etc.

I picked this up during the last Steam sale and have been really impressed with it. There’s like a bajillion songs, and they all have different difficulty levels. It’s a ton of content for masochistic, completionist rhythm game fans.

This looks like a decent steam dock for $30:

I bit on it. I’ll report back.

Thanks, bought. Been looking at their stuff for a while. It’s not perfect… but for 30 bucks it looks mighty good.

All hands on steamed dick, more like

If memory serves, most SDCards actually have an ARM core on them to do the wear leveling, so it isn’t quite that bad.

With only one NAND chip, wear leveling cannot really be done.

Just got my email for my 256gb Steam Deck! Cannot wait!

Woohoo, according to the Steam Deck calculator, Valve went up to 9 days of orders processed. That is up from 3 days that it was at just last week when I last checked. I placed my order 21 days after pre-orders opened so I’m hoping mine isn’t too terribly far away.

Slow on the draw and pre-ordered mine on July 30. Still in the Q4 waiting pool. Splurged for the 512GB version. Had no idea that I can play my Epic games on this too. So I anticipate getting a lot of use out of this. Would love to hear more impressions from those fortunate enough to have theirs now.

So this seems like a pretty big success so far, right? I’ve seen it mentioned everywhere.

This looks like a pretty cool Steam Deck alternative:

It’s a good product that does what it says on the box and people are happy with it, but it’s unclear how many devices Valve actually sold as it’s heavily supply-constrained. Probably not many.

Have they released any numbers at all?

I’ve seen some folks make estimates based on Steam’s hardware survey or some such. The numbers they came up with were quite low – something like 100k - 200k. Take that with a grain of salt, of course.