All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Sounds like typical FedEx to me. They’ve been atrocious the past few years, at least in my area.

Yep…same. Fedex says Thursday for my Deck…uh…doubt it.

Typical FedEx screw up.

Even though it explicitly has my address and name on the package, some yahoo scribbled my neighbor’s address on the box and they delivered it there. Idiots.

BUT: Steam Deck is booting up!

You guys weren’t kidding when you said they’ve sped things up, 5 days ago the calculator was showing like 15 days of pre-orders, now it’s at 29.

So, from more than a month away to little more than a week.

I put in a deposit a month after they went live. My invite came in yesterday morning and I ordered yesterday afternoon.

Woohoo! I confirmed my order but still waiting (impatiently) for shipment notification.

And the theoretical week turned into a couple of days, email arrived today.

Same here

In July I thought I had all the time in the world to save up for this thing, since I didn’t actually get my order in until November (months after pre-orders went live) and every time I checked the GetMyDeck results page it would move up like 1% of the way there every three or four days. I figured since my deck was “After Q3” I was looking at December or even early 2023, so I spent the funds I had set aside for it, content that I could use my PTO cash out coming in early December to pay for it.

Then they announced that their shipping/production issues had all but cleared up and I moved from “after Q3” to “Q3” and suddenly when I signed into GetMyDeck it was 8.5% of the way there, then 16% jut a few days later, then on Monday I saw it was up to 27% and today it is… escalating quickly.

Christ that’s going fast. At the rate it’s going I’m likely to be offered a chance to pick one up by the end of August. I’ve been saving up my BioLife/plasma donations for it, but I picked up COVID this week and so I’ll miss a donation this week, costing me $100. This is going pear-shaped on me quick. Sigh.

Sorry, just wanted to rant a little.

With the supply issues getting resolved hopefully it won’t be terribly long before you can just buy and order one whenever you want rather than wait in a queue, on the chance you miss it.

I suspect a lot of people ordered the first day, and then very few ordered it after that, in comparison to that first day.

Yeah, the positive view here, is that it is possible that by the end of the year, when you are ready to buy one, you’ll be able to get one in a couple weeks.

These are great points, thanks guys - I’ll just see where things sit when I get the invite email, and if it isn’t meant to be until the end of the year, so be it! We’ll leave it up to the fates.

My deck is at home and my kid has texted me 3 times to see if she can open it and check it out…uh, NO…you already have every console and every computer…leave my toys alone.

I ordered April 19. It says I’m 19.41% of the way there now. Really looks like the vast majority of people ordered the first couple of days.

So, I bought larger grips for my Switch as I have large hands and the thing still does not feel that good to hold….I was worried the Deck would feel that way also.

Got home, the kid was super anxious so I had to open the darn box and immediately my hands fell into place while holding the new toy and it feels great. Comfortable to hold, most everything in a good position. My only issue is my pointers sit perfectly on the R2 triggers but I have a hard time hitting the R1 triggers. Very uncomfortable for me to hit those triggers but everything else feels perfect. I might have to remap some controls to the rear triggers if I can.

The kid played Gunfire Reborn. Ran great for her. When I tried it, got to the last level before the boss and the screen locked up. Music still played but screen frozen. Ugh. Played that game on many computers with no freeze ever. And it’s a verified game. Other than that, booted up Into the Breach and Crashlands, more the types of games I will play on the Deck. They worked great. Installing another 8 games so will see how those go.

Some of the screen scrolling in the store was a little wonky and switching to desktop mode seemed a bit slow but I’m not used to it yet.

Will be up late tonight playing with settings and trying those other games but I am pretty impressed so far. Will be great for older games and strategy games, those will be mostly what I play on it….leave the big AAA games for the consoles.

I think you’ll get that email next week. It is speeding through pre-orders now.

For the first day, the R1 trigger felt weird to hit. Then I started playing Monster Hunter World (which requires holding R1 to sprint) and after about 20 minutes it’s now become pretty natural.

Hope you are right…it’s like my fingers wont bend enough in that direction while holding the unit snuggly. Now, If I sit the deck on my tummy I can move my hands around more and it works fine.

My main issue this morning was forgetting that this is a small PC and not a console. I loaded up Subnautica, which loaded faster than my son’s 2060 desktop, and when it gets to the point where you have to move the mouse around to look around the capsule, nothing worked to do that. I was late to work anyhow but I need to temper my enthusiasm and realize I will have to play around with settings again to get things working with a lot of games, something I got over years ago when I embraced consoles. 40 years of PC playing and messing with settings got very old and now I’m having to do it again. BUT, the unit is great, I will persevere and figure it all out.

So after waiting for almost three weeks because USPS lost it, my SSD finally arrived today! A bit of work later: