All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Okay, sorry, I’m not really sure what I was thinking.

It just depends on how you game. I do a lot of gaming on a couch while my wife watches TV, and a hot laptop doesn’t work great on my lap. I don’t like a lap board because I’d rather not have the weight on my lap for an hour or so, which leaves me to putting it farther away on a foot stool.

So, I find it much more portable to use than a laptop because I don’t need a desk or a special setup. I can easily game in any position I want on the couch, I can lay out by my pool and play some games, I can play it in bed before I fall asleep, I can quickly take it outside with me when I let the dogs out, etc…

Agreed with all these use cases. I can sit next to the wife and daughters while they watch their terrible TV and films and I can happily amuse myself.

It’s the best gaming purchase I’ve made in some time. I have played Subnautica and Slay the Spire and a lot of other games already on my bed, my back deck, living room, etc. I have 4 dogs and it’s great to sit outside while they play and play myself. So, so much easier to use than the fast gaming laptop which I just bought 4 months ago but now sits mostly unused. I’m not a power PC gamer so I can see those peeps not caring too much…perfect casual gaming device for me.

This is me as well - right now my Switch has been getting a LOT of play time, but there are still a great deal many cool games I’d love to play that are only on Steam (or PS5). The idea that I could sit upstairs and watch TV with the missus while playing PS5 Demon’s Souls Remaster or something like Trails of Fire, Solasta, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, or Wildermyth upstairs is incredibly appealing.

The PS5 and Xbox apps only work on windows though, right? So you boot up windows in the Steam Deck? How hard is that to setup?

No, there is some sort of Linux app you can download out of the box and then you get some data off your PS5, I watched a video on it and it seemed pretty easy to set up. I only watched how to do it on the PS5 though.

There is absolutely nothing comfortable about playing a laptop on a couch.

So obvious I’m surprised it had to be said.

100% onboard with couch gaming while Wife and kid watch whatever awful show they want. Also, new house had me giving up my old office for a bigger family/entertainment room. I got a new TV and PS5 out of the deal but gave up some privacy. Now I can let the kid and her friend hang out in there while I do my gaming wherever and whenever I please…except in my old office :) Bedroom, bathroom, living room, outside on the deck, by the firepit, poolside, etc etc. I got used to this with the Switch but kid took that over and the Deck seems like it will be even better for me.

Laptop on the couch works OK with a controller or a lapdesk so you can use a separate mouse. It certainly isn’t as elegant as a handheld like the Steam Deck though.

I was hoping to get mine tonight but it slipped back to the original date so tomorrow it is. In the meantime I have been planning what to install by pursuing list online. Anyone else doing this? I won’t bore you with my list but did want to point out that Space Rangers 2 HD was listed as compatible. Seems perfect for it, Can’t wait!

Well so far this is a piece of shit. It’s sat at the logo screen spinning for 20 minutes and it looks like I may need to reimage. What the fuck Valve?

Past that and now you gotta be fing kidding me. Stuck here:

I was stuck at the logo screen for a couple minutes…was frantically googling what to do…20 though, ugh.

That was my only issue…hope you get past all that.

Yep rebooting solved it. Frustrating tho!

What’s the mesh bag under the strap for? Charger? The charger doesn’t fit in the case?

Yes, it’s to hold the charger. The interior of the case is designed solely to hold the Steam Deck and maybe a set of earbuds or similar, if they don’t have their own hard case.

Whack

Or with Steam Link (which is what I do).

Steam Link is pretty poor, I strongly suggest checking out Parsec instead. It’s awesome software, I use it for remote desktop in addition to game streaming. No need to pay anything either. From a quick google, it’s available as a flatpak for Steam Deck.

Wow Elden ring is fing incredible on Steam Deck!